Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A day at a Hydro plant

Options
Mark Hunt
Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
to see a hydro-electric plant today in the beautiful Catskill mountains.

While we were not able to actually enter the plant, the New York Power Authority has an awsome Visitor center.

I actually had to force my son out so we could get in some fishing.

During the day, the water drops from an elevated resevoir through the turbines. During Off-peak hours, the generators are used as motors and pump the water back up to the holding resevoir.

This is the Blenheim-Gilboa power plant, and I remember seeing it as it was being built. They dammed a section of the Schoharie Creek for the project. The lower resevoir is accessible to the public for boating and fishing. There are nature trails throughout the facility and the Minekill State Park is located along the lower resevoir.

My son thought it was "cool" and now he knows where the electricity comes from to power his Game Cube!

Mark H

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=238&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    Way to go!:)

He is probably gonna remember the fishin trip to the electrical power plant when hes old and grey:)
  • Jeff Lawrence_24
    Jeff Lawrence_24 Member Posts: 593
    Options
    a day with your son

Is the best investment you can ever make.

Jeff

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Murph'_5
    Murph'_5 Member Posts: 349
    Options
    All we did.....

Was spend a day at the lake, great pics Mark !!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    We've got one of them thar things here in COlorado!

http://www.xcelenergy.com/XLWEB/CDA/0,3080,1-1-1_1875_4797_4010-3663-5_406_664-0,00.html

I remember going fishing up there with my dad. You had to keep a sharp eye on the lake level in the mornings, cause it kept rising...

Fond memories:-)

ME

• Kal Row
    Kal Row Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    they are halfway to my idea of making

all reservoirs split level, and having arrays of windmill pumps and solar-electric pumps built ascross both reservoirs, that do nothing more than pump water to the upper reservoir for energy storage - for the subsequent drop through turbo generators

the problem with wind and solar, has always been, that, the supply is too variable, where in this case, all the wind and solar do, is pump water at their own rate – a much better fit, than going through the inefficient and expensive process of matching the variable energy supply to the grid’s needs – and the excess overflow can always dumped through the turbine by-pass gates

they have those wind farms out in California, on dry land, when they could dam in the whole area and built the two reservoirs – then they would have something to do with the water when the big rains come - and the California really needs reservoirs
  • Kal Row
    Kal Row Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    they are halfway to my old idea of making

all reservoirs split level, and having arrays of windmill pumps and solar-electric pumps built across both reservoirs, that do nothing more than pump water to the upper reservoir for energy storage - for the subsequent drop through turbo generators

the problem with wind and solar, has always been, that, the supply is too variable, where in this case, all the wind and solar do, is pump water at their own rate – a much better fit, than going through the inefficient and expensive process of matching the variable energy supply to the grid’s needs – and the excess overflow can always dumped through the turbine by-pass gates

they have those wind farms out in California, on dry land, when they could dam in the whole area and built the two reservoirs – then they would have something to do with the water when the big rains come - and the California really needs reservoirs
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    I still love trips

like that! And it goes back to the fact my dad started me young, visiting plants where he worked and learned his trade. Good for you, Mark! pass it on.

hot rod

This discussion has been closed.