Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Should I??? (PAH)

Options
Dave Yates (PAH)
Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
from a neighboring town's school of technology. They'd like an afternoon of my time to meet with the hydronics students to talk about radiant heating(G). Should I go? (That's a rhetorical question!)

They're also asking for input regarding a hydronics and radiant lab for next year. I'm hooked already! I can see it in my mind's eye - but can there be manufacturers who are willing to share too?

Shaping the future of hydronics - one mind at a time.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=98&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Pat Clark
    Pat Clark Member Posts: 187
    Options
    Yes

absolutely, impassion the young to our industry. Someone has to make sure we have heat when we are old.

Pat (Alaska Time) Clark
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Options
    You

will have a blast. I taught a room of 15 forced air mechanics last Fall who were totally green when it came to Hydronics. It was a blast. I know you will have a good time too. WW

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Darin Cook
    Darin Cook Member Posts: 20
    Options
    What a oppurtunity

Absolutely put a class on. I am sure you will find a manufacter or rep to assist or supply some class props. We need young blood in this trade. I too, would like to be warm when I'm old. Of course the kid will be chuckling to himself when I'm babbling about condensing,modulating gas boilers as he throws a bannana peel into MR.Fusion power cell to fire it up.
  • bb
    bb Member Posts: 99
    Options
    Mr. Yates

Anything I can do to help please let me know...

And it's still Mr. :-)

bb
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Options
    Here's where I'm headed tomorrow!

http://www.stevenstech.org/

Imagine a classroom filled with eager young minds - all working towards a degree in hydronics! Freshman class of "08". Roadshow tomorrow afternoon. Maybe I'll wear my chef's hat(G).

Tomorrow afternoon we'll explore the wonders of pumping away, the PONPC & what goes into a T goes out of a T.

The best part is that I received a box of Super Sized Dan when I donated to Cindy's Walk & now I know why(G).

Thanks Mr. Bill (Ohhhhhhhhh nooooooooo Mr. Bill!) Yuz duzn't has ta call me Mr Mr. BTW, several other manufacturers have also offered to help with lab products. Paying it forward & putting products into the hands of our future hydronics leaders is a win/win move.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • George_10
    George_10 Member Posts: 580
    Options
    Dave

Any thing we can do in the form of literature or product, let me know. We have developed a good set of graphics on scale and corrosion. We are willing to help in the education of the newbies to this industry. I also have an article in the latest PM and PM Engineer. Be another one in May in P&H Contractors News.
  • Kal Row
    Kal Row Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    be honest with them

Radiant has two problems, one major, one a nuisance
    the nuisance one is dust - yes dust - because radiant works with infrared light, not hot air convention, - the dust in the house settles much more, and must be hepa-vacumed once a week

Problem two – major – heating time and overshoot – for starters it’s like steam – you don’t just heat where you are – you heat the whole show, and have to keep it there – or at least at 75% – and, if it’s in a public place that goes from empty to occupied rapidly – if it was comfortable empty – it will be way to hot occupied!!!

Then there is the problem of all your eggs in one basket – in a commercial install – where failure is NOT an option – you need redundancy – you can only share ducts at most – this has to be designed in - Like adjacent alternating radiant tube runs, from 2 different radiant systems – so that you are fail-operational – you cant cancel a wedding because the florist screwed a flower pole to the floor right through your radiant tube

As for efficiency – a bank of modulating and condensing boilers with outdoor reset – driving fin-tube baseboards – might be just as, or perhaps, more economical, than radiant
    In a commercial install, you would also have to have a hot water coil in the ac system

Radiant is great for the right application – but is not the end all – though it has brought us a lot of great technologies that we can uses elsewhere – today with variable speed injection, driven by outdoor reset, we routinely run baseboards down under 120 on warmer days – unheard of, in the past, – so baseboards can now utilize the condensing boilers originally intended for radiant, – even in a forced air system on cold days – once the space is up to temp – you can really slow down the blower and run the coil at 75 to maintain temp, without the wind chill, – of course this only works if you have floor registers, – since you cant blow warm air downward slowly – always a problem with those stupid “overhead registers only” forced air installs –

Radiant though – is the end all, for snow-melt, bathrooms and garages – but there are pure electric options, such as warmfloor.com
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Options
    yowza

Honesty is the only way. No worries mon. This is a freshman class, so most of those issues are far too advanced and complicated to use for starters. Tomorrow's talk will be grounded in very basic hydronic applications and formulas.

George, Bless you - I'll put you on the list. Teaching the merits of proper chemistry from the get-go just might cure a lot of the problems in our industry.

This discussion has been closed.