Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wet fire sprinkler systems

Options
George_10
George_10 Member Posts: 580
Is this a specialized area for certain plumbing companies due to code or the type of work? We are looking at this area for an advertising campaign and I thought I could get some general info from the wall. Any thoughts or ideas are more than welcomed.

Comments

• Douglas Hicks
    Douglas Hicks Member Posts: 69
    Options
    Wet sprinkler system

Get a copy of NFPA 13-2002 for an idea of the requirements and code issues. The systems need to be designed for the particular hazards and building types. Piping choices include black, copper and plastic. or combinations of different pipe. If you do decide to go into the sprinkler business, follow code. Meet w/the inspector and find out what codes are followed in your jurisdiction. There is also the National Fire Sprinkler Association (NFSA.org), American Fire Sprinkler Association (sprinkler.net)National Fire Protections Association (NFPA.org) and Home Sprinkler Coalition (homefiresprinkler.org) .Most of the jobs I have seen by plumbers do not meet code and are not at all proffessional in appearance. Common mistakes I have seen are wrong head orientation, wrong head placement, wrong pipe sizing, wrong temperature usage and using the wrong tools to install a head. Of course the people I see on this board are not your common plumbers.

Now if you'll excuse me, I am going to hide in the basement while hoards of plumbers cruise the streets looking for me.

Douglas Hicks
    General Fire Equipment Co of Eastern Oregon, Inc
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
    On Long Island they generally require a master plumbers lic.

but they make exceptions. The County Fire Marshall administers the test and interviews you. They enforce the NFPA guidelines. An excellent source for this ino would be Mark Bromann who writes for Pm Engineer magazine on Fire Sprinks. I'll try to get you his email. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    fire sprinklers.....

these are life safety issues that are involved therefore the vast majority of states qualify certain sizes and types and occupancy blah blah blah blah ablah then there is certifications ...nicet 1234 and it then goes into well how reliable is reliable .....many countries on planet earth have adopted Yankkee ingenuity and just buy in lock stock and barrel to the guidelines and administration lashed up here in the U S of A. residential is a booming field as it were these days and Yes there are new systems certifications etc in this field also. To chirp up wirsbo for a second Thier residential fire sprinkler system is quite the up grade to the potable water system in a new home.Yes there are other followers in the field using pex..notice the UL sticker markings on 1/2" pex? that isnt something done for free.Recently the idea seemed to occur to other pex manufacturers to get with the programme...as a thought why not look first to the best then to the rest:) sorry i am biased...i got lotsa licences to :) maybe even more than your dog:)
  • Nron_9
    Nron_9 Member Posts: 237
    Options
    Fire sprinklers

We're in Canada. We wanted to offer this line of products & services to our customers. Our biggest problem was not gov or training but INSURANCE. No break for the customer & no one would give us coverage. To the back burnner for now.
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    I know the feeling...

I've been in hiding out in my basement ever since this article was published...

http://www.pmmag.com/CDA/ArticleInformation/features/BNP__Features__Item/0,2379,4298,00.html

My neck is KILLING me from always looking over my shoulder, and i AM a plumber:-)

ME

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.