Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Service Round Table

Options
Jamie_6
Jamie_6 Member Posts: 710
Has any one know of or is,was,or knows about the Organization. Is it worth the money.

Comments

• Jamie_6
    Jamie_6 Member Posts: 710
    Options
    Service Round Table

Has any one know of or is,was,or knows about the Organization. Is it worth the money.
  • Bud_14
    Bud_14 Member Posts: 200
    Options
    I tried it...

for three months...

Bud
  • RonTC
    RonTC Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Service Round table

I have been a member for 6 months. I think its great!

Ron Hartzheim
    Town & Country Mechanical
    804-330-9006
    Richmond, VA
  • Clifton
    Clifton Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Service Roundtable Features?

Ron, what is it that makes it, in your words, great!?
  • RonTC
    RonTC Member Posts: 13
    Options
    SR

I just started my company 7 months ago and the round table gives me a lot of ideas from sales and marketing to operations issues. I feel its designed for owners and there are a lot of downloads that help me implament fairly quick.

You can call me and I would be glad to give you more of my thoughts.

Ron Hartzheim
    Town & Country Mechanical
    Richmond, VA
    804-330-9006
  • Matt Michel
    Matt Michel Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I know a little about this group

The Service Roundtable is an affordable, Internet based contractor group for Plumbers and HVAC. It's not for everyone, though most will find enough of value to justify the costs. I'm not going to turn this into a commercial (okay, guess I already have), but you can click on the following links and get a lot of your questions answered...

https://www.serviceroundtable.com/Testimonials/default.asp

https://www.serviceroundtable.com/Freebies/FreebiesDetails.asp?PCID=313

https://www.serviceroundtable.com/Freebies/FreebiesDetails.asp?PCID=292

If nothing else, there's some free stuff on the site anyone can download. Lee Rosenberg's "100 Simple Practices Every Service Business Should Perform" is on the front page, as is "50 Comanche Marketing Tips for Building Your Service Business." There's also a few things under the "Freebies" tab.

I'll post something to our Roundtable lists and see if anyone there wants to add their two cents. Feel free to email me any questions.

Matt Michel
    CBW
    Service Roundtable
  • Regan
    Regan Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Service Round Table

We've been a memeber for about 9 months or so now and it is defintely useful:

The discussion boards are a constant deluge of information, which is both good and bad. It is a lot of information to paw through on a daily basis so if you don't check your e-mail regularly, forget about it. If you do though, the Round Table does for the HVAC and Plumbing industries what the internet did for random information searches. Plus, it's always nice to hear from other companies across the nation dealing with the same issues you do.

There are always new marketing ideas and promos being added to the site. Clipart, articles, newsletters, brochures, videos ... All kinds of things to kick your advertising into high gear.

Finally, Matt Michel and the rest of the Round Table gang are very approachable and present in the organization. If there's a need for something that they don't have, they'll develop it. If you have a question, they'll try to answer it or direct you to someone who can.

If you have the time and the money, I think it's definitely worth it. To be able to confer and interact with people dedicated to the industry is a priceless tool.

Sincerely,
    Regan Roberts
    Custom Mechanical, Inc.
    regan@custommechanical.com
  • Vikki Nicholas
    Vikki Nicholas Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Service Roundtable

Service Roundtable is like having your a giant staff without the overhead. The format offers a variety of choices that are available. You can ask questions and receive answers on their discussion group, there are examples of ad's, management tools, job descriptions, newsletters and many other items that can be downloaded. It is helpful if you have a fast internet connection and Publisher but not required. Our company has been a member since day 1 and it only gets better.
  • Lynn Comstock
    Lynn Comstock Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Service Roundtable is an Opportunity

Honest contracting is hard work. Most contractors of all types live hand to mouth. Service Roundtable let's you interact with others in the industry who know how to break free from mediocrity to experience real profitability. It starts with knowledge shared and problems and solutions shared. It is up to the members to implement the ideas. There is no silver bullet.
    Example: A recent post said "There is no future if you don't own and keep the customer." That is a simple concept that can be a foundation on which to build a strong business.

Lynn
  • Roy Huber
    Roy Huber Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Service round table

We looked at the HVAC site since the plumbing site was not up and running back then. I got in touch with Randy Hilton and joined for a year in advance. It is ONLY $50.00 a month. It pays for itself with the information you receive. You do not have to reinvent the wheel as everyone shares information. It is GREAT. Hats off to the founders and staff...

Roy Huber/Service Manager
  • Tony Key
    Tony Key Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Service Roundtable

Wouldn't it be great if someone said that every morning you could sit down with your cup of coffee and have an open discussion with some of the best minds in the HVAC business. And, that you could do this for only $50.00 per month.

Welcome to the Service Roundtable!
  • lthiesen
    lthiesen Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Service Roundtable

I joined a few months ago but so far it seems to be 90 percent HVAC and 10 percent plumbing so I am not sure it is worth it if you don't do air conditioning.
  • Wizaard
    Wizaard Member Posts: 28
    Options
    Service Roundtable

The shared knowledge in the e-mail discussion list alone is worth the money. You know what is even better? That this very knowledge and information is archived and available.

The Service Roundtable staff provides templates for direct mail pieces, newsletters and other marketing pieces as well as written information that will help your service techs present your services in a professional manner. Imagine how much time it would take to create just one piece. Imagine how much money you would have to pay a copy person and graphic artist. Now, imagine not having to invest your time or that much money to produce two to six mailing pieces per year.

Okay, the shared knowledge and savings on your time and money is a no brainer. But wait, there's more...

The Service Roundtable is a living, breathing and growing organization. Its food is the collective good will and caring of its members. Often times because of this an initiative will start. The SR owners will take hold of the initiative, add to it, tweak it and provide a value to the rest of the members. Consequently, the larger the SR becomes the more potential value for its members. (like the Wall!)

One more thing, seeing as how I haven't posted here in a long time and the typing is flowing...

If the SR is the company of the future, its CEO, Matt Michel is not only the CEO of the future but the CEO of the Now. Matt exudes a passion for our profession. His mind, soul and body are invested in the improvement of the SR members, not trapped in some pearly white ivory tower, suffocating on the lack of a good fresh air exchange system.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
    SR

Hi Gang,

I joined the Service Roundtable about a year ago. It's great for the growth minded company, or anyone who's trying to improve their business (I hope this fits everyone here). $50 a month is peanuts.

Gary

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • GW
    Options
    plumbing

There's a plumbing group also on the SR. If HVAC isn't your thing, get out of there and do the plumbing. Randy Hilton heads this side up, he writes for PM mag- good guy.

Gary

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    Options
    Be very Careful...

Virtually none of the posters/responders are "Wallies"

Self-serving? Self-aggrandizement?

Stuffing the ballot box? Interlopers?

Full frontal assault on The Wall? Don't know.

Their obsession with making money and how to make even more, seems a bit short on substance and long on self-propomtional hype.

IMHO "they" are market and sales driven - not involved with substantive issues like quality work, referals, technical expertise, trade education, and the things that make small guys truly great.

Be very careful.

• GW
    Options
    To be or not to be- a Wallie

are you OK Ken? The Service Roundtable is a top notch organization. Even if someone did drop the original question on purpose.... BIG DEAL! Gee wiz. If you don't want to make more money in your profession, uhhhh, well, I'll stop there.

Gary Wilson

Wall member since 1998

certified Wall member # 12588tyuu8890A

Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • lthiesen
    lthiesen Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Interloper

Gee, I did not realize this site had membership requirements. I read things here every day, have bought books from Dan and even asked one or two questions in the past. I don't see much steam or hot water heat in my area but I am interested in those systems anyway.
  • Bryan_15
    Bryan_15 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    service roundtable

Service roundtable is great. The downloads are mostly sales and profit enhancing items but the discussion group covers any subject that a contractor could need help in. If you're a tech thats not involved in management or sales then there probably other sites better suited to you, but if you're an owner or manager it's the best I've seen. No I'm not a wall member but I do read it regularly. Just wanted to give my 2 cents.
  • Bud_14
    Bud_14 Member Posts: 200
    Options
    It's a credit card issue with me and the SR

I didn't say it was a bad experience it just wasn't for me. I have nearly 700 e-mails that I haven't read yet...most of the rendered useless to me. My problem is when I want out, I went to "MY Account", this is the area all or you personal information is stored and there for you to adjust if necessary...but the credit card information, it was there starring you in the face, but you could not manage it and change it or deleat it. So I Emailed Mat on the issue and told him I was not authorizing any further payment to Service Round table. And he responded and acknolwedged my request. I though it was over and thats what I wanted. To find out...Service roundtable charged my card an additional months fee with out notifing me after he was notified not to. The only information on their site in your what they call "My Account" that you're not able to terminate or change is your credit card. I hope that problem is fixed by now...I'm sorry to bring this to the board, But everytime this gets to the bottom..someone has to bring it to the top again and won't let it go. To each it's own. I'm very sorry for this post Dan, I respect you and all the work you have done...

Bud Goodman
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    I also tried it..........

at the very beginning. If you do lots of air work, it's a great resource. I dropped out because 90% of what I do is hydronic related. Hell, I'm not even a member of the RPA and that's only half what SR charges. Mr. Michel has a good thing going here.

Now if the RPA would do something akin to what SR does, I would consider re-joining. But that's another thread.

hb

heatboy

The Radiant Whisperer

"The laws of physics will outweigh the laws of ecomomics every time."
  • Ken_8
    Options
    For those who have read all

the SR posts...

I suspect you see exactly what I mean.

It never ends. It can't. They have no clue and won't let it go. Marketing at its lowest possible level. I view their form of persistence as bordering on obnoxious behavior and desperation - resulting in alienation.

They see it as something to exploit - regardless of consequences. I think the posts reveal all.

And now, for the onslaught of ill-conceived retorts...

• Randall Hilton_2
    Randall Hilton_2 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Bud, I’d rather discuss stuff like this privately and not in a public forum, but since you raised it here…

>From the beginning, we've had a "Cancel" link very prominently displayed on the Member Services page. Simply click the link, click the trade(s)you wish to drop and confirm the choice.

Two questions:
    Did you click the "Cancel" link? Yes or No

If you didn't click the cancel link, you overcomplicated the process. Once you step outside of the automated system, you're in the realm of human error.

The automated system handles 10's of thousands of transactions a year without a problem. In your case, human error (coupled with a desire on our part to make amends for human error) resulted in you receiving 3
    months of membership for the price of one.

Human error – in your case,an error by a person whose husband was in ICU at the time and was working during non-visiting hours – also resulted in an inadvertent
    charge, which we refunded to your card as soon as possible.

Second question:
    Do you really think we conspired to cheat you for a whopping $50? Yes or No

I know first hand that we bend over backwards to give people the benefit of the doubt. We treat people the way we would like to be treated. We do our best to walk our talk and live our advice. Unfortunately, we're
    not perfect (one of the reasons we like automated systems). Sometimes we screw up, but we always make it right in the end.

I assume you'll respond to these 2 questions but beyond that, please give it a rest.

Randall Hilton
  • Tombig_2
    Tombig_2 Member Posts: 231
    Options
    Ken the Ornery Goat

> the SR posts...

>

> I suspect you see exactly what

> I mean.

>

> It never ends. It can't. They have

> no clue and won't let it go. Marketing at its

> lowest possible level. I view their form of

> persistence as bordering on obnoxious behavior

> and desperation - resulting in

> alienation.

>

> They see it as something to

> exploit - regardless of consequences. I think

> the posts reveal all.

>

> And now, for the

> onslaught of ill-conceived retorts...

>

>

>

> _A

> HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=

> 68&Step=30"_To Learn More About This

> Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in

> "Find A Professional"_/A_

• Murph'_5
    Murph'_5 Member Posts: 349
    Options
    $ 600 A year !!

Big Big bucks for a subscription. Needless to say Alot of weight for the smaller companies !! Treat your customers with respect and they will follow. some bigg money to be made here for the owners, guess they needed some "free" exposure. Some of these owners hide behind religion so not to be berated for what they are. here for the money then gone after the curtain falls, I cannot believe MM can be associated with these sorts. Many of these post are make believe!!

MJ
  • Ken_8
    Options
    Interesting point!

Here's a real quickie tip SR, Randall and Matt will never tell you.

I can spend 600 a year in fees, then waste another few days a month reading all the "wonderful ways" I can improve my business (wasting THE most non-renewable resource there is i.e., TIME)

OR>>>>>>

I can spend HALF that on my "Find a Contractor ad" and simply sit back and let the cash register go "cha-ching" while the most intelligent customers in the world see my ad, call me to help solve a heating problem - allowing me to what I do best - solve problems while making a living. It is so simple.

Real success and business savvy does not come from the likes of SR, Matt or Randall. It comes from within. The reason they write about it, is because they never "got it" themselves! Then in desperation to stay afloat, they try "selling" to those they could not keep up with in the real world!

Absolutely amazing.

Thanks Mad Jack for turning on the lights.

• Tombig_2
    Tombig_2 Member Posts: 231
    Options
    Amen Brother

I've been at it so long I don't need or want that crap. There is, however, a real market for that site and more power to 'em. You're just PO'ed you didn't think of it first at tall dollars per month for life.

• Jeff Lawrence_24
    Jeff Lawrence_24 Member Posts: 593
    Options
    Yeah, baby

Another wonderful point, Ken.

Makes you look at it in another light, dosen't it?

• John R. Hall
    John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
    Options
    Gotta say

I've been covering the SR since its inception and I'd just like to add my two cents. The organization was founded by a group of highly successful contractors (and just plain good folks) who felt there was a less expensive alternative to the contractor groups whose membership dues were out of the affordable range for mainstream small businesspeople. These are people who are motivated to share their wisdom with other HVACR businesspeople, in an effort to raise the professionalism of our trade.

Think of it as one giant network group and don't read a lot more into it. It is like anything else in the business world -- a tool that is available. If you choose not to use that tool, fine. But like the old saying goes, "you only get out of it what you put into it," and if you think you can share a good idea or two, then the SR is a good place to stop. One good idea from a fellow contractor can easily save the very minimal investment.

That's my two cents...okay maybe my $50. Who gets the bill?
  • GW
    Options
    John

Shhhh, these people can't be reasonable on this subject. In any case, I agree with you.

Gary Wilson

Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • GW
    Options
    MJ

Hello,

That's an odd responce. $600 a year is nothing. What kind of money are you pulling in? If you're a one man shop, many people might agree that this is above your head. If you're a 1/2 million and up like most of us small time contractors, it's about a 1/10 of 1% of sales... wow.

I've aborbed so much sales and marketing adice from this group, and people that are like minded, that it's hepled me to grow at a rate of 100% in two years. What does that really tell you... not much; it does mean that I'm turning less tools and calling more shots. If this is not for you, then $600 is too much money.

If you love driving a truck and humping service calls for the rest of your life, I agree, this money should be spent elsewhere. I you desire to be a business man, this money is well spent. If you would rather serve your customers needs before your family's needs, that's cool too; the $600 is a waste of money.

Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Ken_8
    Options
    Anyone who thinks

$600 a year is nothing...

already demonstrates they have no clue!

$600 a year would buy two ads at "Find a Contractor" that would make more money than you could ever imagine.

$600 a year would buy every book Holohan ever wrote - or may in the foreseaable future.

$600 Would have paid your airfare to and from Wetstock 4 and your room as well.

$600 would pay to get you to ISH in Germany - Roundtrip!

$600. would get you and your wife tickets to a Broadway Show and dinner at a fine restaurant.

$600 for a chat site when this place is free and so is all the trade mags on earth that your SR group only discovered yesterday?

Still don't have a clue, do you.

What really ticks me off was the way all of a sudden four or five hired guns from SR show up here "on cue" and praise a group that no one really cares about. The focus of SR has been HVAC guys.

Are things that bad over at SR that you need to "mine" wetheads from here?

The way all the folks suddenly showed up from SR to join the chorus was the icing on the cake!

What exactly is it about our ire that you don't understand?

Do you not understand the simple phrase, "No thanks"?

John Hall states he has followed you since the incpetion. That's fine. John writes for a trade rag that does little or nothing with regard to our focus here. That being wet heat.

You guys may be very fine orange trees. The problem is you are interloping orange trees in an apple orchard!

• John R. Hall
    Options
    Ken

I still like you.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,525
    Options

Retired and loving it.
  • Tony_8
    Tony_8 Member Posts: 608
    Options
    I don't understand

Why the adversarial attitude ? Is The Wall competing for patrons with SR ? Can't I have both ? Can't I have 2 friends at once ? If it's not worth it to you, don't subscribe. That shouldn't have any bearing on whether or not I think it's worth it to me. If you have issues with them, deal with it. Just leave everyone else out of it. I don't think "choosing sides" is appropriate or productive. Can I still visit RPA's website and The Wall, too ? :) JEEZ !!!

I wish all the stuff I've picked up in the last 5 years I'd gotten in the first 5 of my career, I'd be rich. That's stuff from all sources, not just here or any one other place. I'm not a subscriber to SR, and probably wouldn't for $50/month, but I've spent more than that on "the hard way". Hindsight is great, someone else's hindsight is even better.

RELAX... The Wall won't disappear because SR came fishing.
  • Nron_9
    Nron_9 Member Posts: 237
    Options
    Taking heat

This is a hot topic. I think that all believe that The Wall is open to all. The topics discussed are there so that we help one another. If you want sell one another, call the office.
    We all have to be careful to use the resources we have wisely. To some $600 is a lot of money.
    I think ( tell me if I'm wrong Ken) that Ken has seen the unwary drawen into something that does not fill their needs.( I draw no conculsions regarding SR - this is the first time I heard of it) This waists valuable resourses.
    I like the fact that Ken feels strongly about this. It always helps to speak plainly.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Quite a warm welcome?!!

Here we have the potential to welcome some new members to the wall that have demonstrated a need and willingness to learn more about their business, and more likly than not spent money on excellent products sold HERE to help them along that path.

Think they feel welcomed, at this point??

Perhaps some have a desire to learn more about the wet heat industry and would hang here and swap stories, increase our knowledge base maybe??

From what I see there is a terrible shortage of wet contractors in many areas of the country, especially the sunbelt states where snowbelt (wetheat) retirees are moving. Many of these snowbirds would love to have wet heat in the sunbelt homes, too. The HVAC contractors are already in their areas, and are in a catbird seat to learn and provide the system these "birds" are willing to pay for!

I just returned from a trip to Utah. Interestingly many of the plumbing and wetheat contractors, and shops, are parterning with, or buying air side HVAC shops. Seems even in the high mountains areas AC is becoming a "must have" IAQ is becoming more of an issue, also. Technology that wet contractors best not ignore. Seems to me we "wet contractors" would want to embrace their knowledge and their reach to the hydronic side of the industry, and work together to promote comfort systems, through partenerships not mud slinging.

From my prospective the air side has done a much better job of training and packing their goods and services than the wet side, to this point. Lennox and Carrier are names every homeowner, everywhere reconizes. Imagine where hydronics could go with acess to their market, training and advertising clout.

I'd say welcome aboard SR members and fellow contractors. Guess we will see who makes the final call :)

hot rod

• John R. Hall
    Options
    HR

It's like the old saying, "Don't knock it until you tried it." If I can get an idea that would save my business $100 a month from a fellow contractor and that idea costs me $50 a month. Ummm, duh, geez...

I could take the family out to a nice meal once a month, or a show, or...
This discussion has been closed.