Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

DAN, E.mail addresses on Wall?

Options
Did my preferances somehow get changed? Perhaps all of the posters addresses were deleted from The Wall intentionaly?
I was looking to send an e.mail direct response to a poster. However, they're gone!! What happened?

AIM user name: Radiantfloors

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=296&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• George_10
    George_10 Member Posts: 580
    Options
    Click on reply but do not reply

The mail address is then visible.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,528
    Options
    Invision

is hiding them because of the concerns Wallies had about spammers. You speak; we listen. You can get at them by clicking Reply and scrolling up. The address will be there. Just don't reply. Nothing Invision did affect the functionality of the site. The change stops the robots that visit all bulletin boards. The email addresses are public domain, and that's why we're masking them.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Murph'_5
    Murph'_5 Member Posts: 349
    Options
    and robots cannot reply

I noticed that and thanks, will the FAC link still work without it. I suppose it would I guess i'll take a better look.

Murph'
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    Thanks Dan!

The level of Spam going to my localized e-mail address has dropped appreciably. Most of it seemed to be virus-related... and it's pretty annoying when the signal-to-noise ratio for a given e-mail address is 0%. Anyway, my e-mail is being pestered a lot less, so I'm grateful about that.

Thanks again. If you ever feel like it, I'll be happy to share what little I know about how to tighten site security with you. Keeping bad bots and hackers out of my site is a bit of a hobby. It's getting harder every day as spammers have adopted stealth techniques to hide their e-mail scrapers. However, honeypots, scrambled e-mail addresses, .htaccess modifications, and a bit of Perl programming do an admirable job of keeping the script-kiddies out, preventing site content theft, etc.

I really appreciate that you are not a control-freak and allow folks to criticise aspects of the web-site. It's refreshing that you let "the good, the bad, and the ugly" come to a consensus, then make a wise decision in the interest of all. Furthermore, intra-user e-mail exchanges are easily possible as users do not have to rely on the site admin to connect them like on some other boards.

So, once again, thanks!
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Yes, it will.

Retired and loving it.
  • Murph'_5
    Murph'_5 Member Posts: 349
    Options
    lets try it .......

and see!! Do not know how many from the woods use them dot-com machines besides me, but hey some of us are pioneers anyway!!!

Murph'

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    I'm glad you're happy

and thanks for all the good advice. It's good to have you here, Constantin.
    Retired and loving it.
This discussion has been closed.