Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

hours logged

Options
ken D
ken D Member Posts: 60
I'm having a moral conlict.

I'm a hussler, I work quick but am very detail oriented and want to do a great job done right. But I often found that I might finish a half hour-hour-hour and a half early and am told to stay and find something to do. If there is nothing to do, I feel like I'm robbing the customer who is paying for this nothingness being done by me. I hate sitting in the van with a licensed tech (I'm an apprentice) for the last hour to fill up my 8 hour day. and How can you go to another customer in the last half hour-hour when it'll take 20 mins to get there and your day ends at 4:30. 15-20 mins of work minus clean up and paperwork is not something I'd want to pay for! + portal to portal, etc.

What do I do?

I worked doing 2 jobs at one job site. I put 2 hours on job one and 6 on job 2. The other guy works 6 on one and 2 on job 2 (job 2 is T&M) but he put 2 on the first quote job and billed 6 for job 2 (the T&M) when he only put 2 hours on it. He gets his paper work signed and leaves an hour before me because he started an hour earlier. I go to get my paper work signed and the customer asks me, "You guys spent 12 hours on this job?". Wicked wretch of a coward I am lied and said "I guess so".

I'm not being nor covering for liars any more.

I'm attentive to details in my work, life, and morals. I don't fit in with this world, and am having problems here. I can justify a half hour or so because we're entitled to breaks and Im sure they take extra breaks too from time to time, I honestly see nothing wrong with that. But it often gets outside of being right often enough. I like to work, and like to charge travel/portal to portal etc., I'll round ahead 15-20 mins when its right, but this is frustrating.

Any advice, tips , different ways of looking at it would be appreciated.

Comments

• Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
    This is why some guys prefer the flat rate

Whether you're done fast or not the price is the same. The customer can't nickel and dime you on time too much. Don't get too nuts kid, it is not your policy, you are just doing your job. Take that extra down time and read in the truck. I agree, don't lie for anyone. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    agree with Mad dog..

but one other possibility is to use the time to go back over everything done...Even if you find nothing wrong 99% of the time it would only take finding one mistake to save some cash..Also, where you are in the learning mode, go back and look at the way thing's were done. It is a good way to learn.. Just make sure you stay honest, that way you can look in the mirror when you have to shave...IMO....:)
This discussion has been closed.