Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Galvanize Pipe

Options
Matt Undy
Matt Undy Member Posts: 256
I know this isn't exactly heating, in fact it is more plumbing history but it seems to be something that those interested in old mechanical systems would be interested in. Ok now the question.

I have seen a lot of houses built in the 50's which had galvanized instead of copper domestic water supply pipes. I have heard many explinations as to why this was done but none of them seem to make sense. I have heard that copper was scarce because of the Korean war, but these house were built in the late 50's. I have heard that labor was cheaper then the additional cost of copper pipe and fittings. Today galvanized/iron pipe is more expensive than copper, but I find it hard to believe that the difference was ever so great that the ten fold or so increase in labor and construciton time for galvanized over copper was ever economical. Does anyone have any concrete explinations as to why these homes were done in steel? The services to these houses seemed to always be copper (at least meaning that retrofit didn't require diging), but these were small ranches where the service was a significant proprtion of the house's supply piping.

I understand how pre war houses had galvanized because copper tube was still new, but I don't know why it was ever used in these newer houses.

Matt

Comments

• heretic
    heretic Member Posts: 159
    Options
    Cost?

I have been told that copper was significantly more expensive at that time. Mining techniques improved later, dropping the cost. Also, I would not be surprised if steel was a matter of 'habit' for many long-time plumbers in those days.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options
    copper vs. steel

in new york city copper was illegal by code until the seventies. it was either galv. steel ,wrought iron or brass threaded piping. threadless pipe [T.P. ] which is .o65 heavy wall copper tube and flagg flo socket joint bronze fittings that are brazed with silver solder were permitted in the fifties. that's the story jerry.galvanized pipe was way cheaper than brass and the labor was the same. wrought iron was about the same price as brass and actually better in some applications where the water was a problem. the copper sweat solder system was invented in the thirties by mueller copper. fittings had a feed hole in side.
    EdTheHeaterMan
This discussion has been closed.