Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

SteamRadiators.Com

Options
Bill C
Bill C Member Posts: 1
Hey folks:

I live in NYC and need to replace my radiators. My building has 6 units (approx 1500 sq ft heating area per unit). The boiler is currently heated with gas. Over the past 2 years, my steam radiators have had the valves replaced 4 times, as they continuously lose water.

I've been told that the baseboard radiators aren't pitched properly, not to mention that these types of systems should never be used with 1 pipe Steam.

I've been told by a couple of plumbing & heating folks that the only thing I can do is go back to the free standing Cast Iron radiators -- which I find aesthetically unappealing. Problem is, no one else in my building has these leak issues and they all have the same radiators. Regardless, I need to replace all 4, as one of them blew a gasket "literally" on Sat evening until I could turn the valve down to stop the escaping steam.

I was recently directed to SteamRadiators.Com and was wondering if anyone has used these in place of traditional Cast Iron uprights. The radiators I saw at steamradiators.com are much more to my liking -- the only question is if these have to be pitched as well, won't they look "unbalanced" against a wall? Also, I've not seen much on these radiators and would appreciate any insight into functionality, ability to heat appropriately compared to cast iron, etc. Feel free to e-mail me privately in case you have negative experiences and don't want to post it...

Sorry for the length of the e-mail.

Regards,

Bill C.

Comments

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Yes and Yes

Yes we've used them and Yes they still have to be pitched.

Your radiators are pitched and its not something your eye travels to right away is it ? They do need to be pitched but the one job we have done is heating better than I thought.

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Joe Lambert
    Joe Lambert Member Posts: 18
    Options

I do not have direct experience with steamradiators.com, but am currently working on two projects replacing steam radiators for one-pipe steam with more modern designs. There is a main issue that you must consider how your building controls the steam. In an on-off system (heat timer type) you may experience cold periods in between cycles when changing designs.
    There are other options of designs. You may e-mail me directly and/or talk with other steam contractors.
This discussion has been closed.