Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I just noticed (starch)

Options
...that email addresses are no longer being displayed with the posts.

Did something change?? Is this to cut down on the email mining web-bots?

Starch

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,530
    Options
    Yes,

they're still in the system but Invision is masking them from the robots.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
  • John Starcher_4
    John Starcher_4 Member Posts: 794
    Options
    Sweet!!!!!!

Thanks, Dan!!!! I appreciate how you are always improving the EXCELLENCE of this site. No one raises the bar higher than you, my friend.

Now, my "cookie" can contain my real email address again. Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!"

Starch
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Spammers

use robots to take the names from bulletin boards such as the Wall. This is all public domain so it's not against any law for them to do this. We've hidden the email addresses so the robots can't see them. It doesn't affect the functionality of the site in any way. Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    much appreciated

I'm getting several dozen virus laden e-mails per day & many have wallies return addresses listed. I know they didn't send them, but that's how the buggers get folks to let down their guard. It's gotten so bad, we've finally taken my computer out of the network to protect the others in the office. I also don't hook my laptop up to the internet.

Seems odd to me that the internet folks can't come up with some sort of terminator software to immediately intercept and kill virus laden software before it reaches its destination. Oh well, I guess its just another wardrobe malfunction kind of thing.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Ah Hah

So when we reply to a post then we see the address.

My concern was that we loose the ability to contact one another so easly. But now I see that they are still there when you reply. Tricking the little buggers. I like it .

Staying in touch and contactin others off the wall, thats the thing that has made the Wall such a community.

Thanks Dan for raising the bar again.

See you all in 18 days :)

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    That's

the way it works. Hope it helps. Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.
  • George_10
    George_10 Member Posts: 580
    Options
    Our internet server/host screens all incoming

e-mail for viruses and sends us a message if the offending e-mail is suspect. All that we have to do then is delete it from our inbox. Sure makes it easy to keep our systems clean. The e-mail addresses we use are all associated with our web site.
  • jim sokolovic
    jim sokolovic Member Posts: 439
    Options
    If I wanted to see...

a certain person's E-mail address, in order to verify what company they work for (most contain this) - should I hit "reply" above their post, to view their address, and then hit "cancel", to clear the "post message" screen? Is this the best way, without causing a problem? Thanks to any advice on this.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Yes,

that's how to do it. Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.
  • jim sokolovic
    jim sokolovic Member Posts: 439
    Options
    Thanks for the verification...

Didn't want to make a mess!
This discussion has been closed.