Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Boilers

Options
Ray_8
Ray_8 Member Posts: 3
I recently installed a Bryant steam boiler that I piped the same as the old system. I had not seen the old system before. It has a tank above the boiler that is piped with return lines. Needless to say I am getting very bad water hammer and I know I need to repipe the boiler. I want to make sure I do it right this time . The radiators do not have traps at the outlets. The two steam mains are 2", returns are 3/4" and go to 1" pipes at the tank assembly. Both main supplies dead end. They are not looped together. Boiler currently is not piped with Hartford loop. I am not sure that this is my only problem. I have a copy of your book "The Lost Art of Steam Heating" if you can reference areas of the book. I also have pictures of before installation and tank set up if that will help.
Please contact me as soon as possible at this email address.

Thanks,
Ray

Comments

• Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
    Ray, are you a tinkerer, homeowner , or contractor?

If you read Lost Art and followed it, you would be in good shape. Fill me in??????????????? Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Ray_8
    Options

Mad Dog,
    I am a small contractor in Pitt. area. This boiler went when the weather was cold. I gave a proposal and customer needed work done ASAP. I did not research the tank in the ceiling and piped boiler as close as possible to old system.
    This being my first Steam install I am learning a lot of problems can arise without doing my homework. Any help will be much apprecited. Steam is not common in my customer base. I have serviced a few, but hate to turn down a customer.
    Ray

• bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options

THAT could possibly be Mr. Murphy's area. [Pittsburgh ] He is the expert there.
  • Ray_8
    Options

How can I contact Mr Murphy. Is he a contractor or a service rep.
    Ray
This discussion has been closed.