Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gypcrete falling Apart?

Options
Joe F
Joe F Member Posts: 11
I had a client call me last night and ask if his new gypsum floor would turn to dust in a few years. He said his carpet saleslady told him the do a lot of motels with gypsum floors that have turned to powder and they can't do a thing with them. Is this a problem with old gypsum, or is she confused about what kind of flooring it is, or water damage?

Any help would be appreciated.

Joe

Comments

• Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    Options
    Gypsum concrete

Gypsum concrete is much stronger than it used to be. I don't know what she is referring to. I have been pouring Gypsum concrete floors since 1991. Mostly over radiant floor tubes. I have not seen a floor fall apart. The floor will be powdery if it isn't mixed correctly or if it was frozen when wet. There seems to be this garbage floating around from the 60s that gypsum will just crumble. These same soothsayers recommend air entrained portland concrete over a wood subfloor. That is what scares me. Find a good applicator using a good gypsum product and be confident. Always ask for examples of bad jobs. That usually leads to -well everybody knows it is no good. I'll show you 100 large homes that have had no problem and love it. You still can't beat a thermal mass for comfort and efficiency.
  • t.speed
    t.speed Member Posts: 11
    Options
    gyp floors

Gypsum based materials can return to a "dust" form if subjected to moisture and then a return to dry conditions. I have seen this on a very limited basis on some older radiant applications, under 10 sq. ft. of damage and pre- 1996. Typically the gyp materials used in motels are the least expensive. Who knows the true conditions at that motel? Dates are important as, at least Maxxon has improved the mix of their radiant product with a higher compressive strength mix.
    A reputable gpy applicator can lead you straight.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Haven't had any problems

Though I'm wondering wich product will hold the test of time?

I'm currently using USG's Levelrock RH™ I've used ThermaFloor™ but the applicators were just not as professional as the ones from USG.

AIM user name: Radiantfloors

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    never seen that.

quality gypcrete with acrylic addatives and fiberglass is reasonably strong stuff.were it to occur id suspect a water leak drainage or potable sometime near the installation date of the product. i wait 28 days and go with it...never seen that.
  • mike parnell
    mike parnell Member Posts: 42
    Options

FOR TROY,
    WHERE MIGHT YOU BE LOCATED? IVE GOT A FLOOR PROJECT IN THE FUTURE,MIGHT WANT TO GET A QUOTE FROM YOU.ITS IN HOPKINTON MASS.THANKS...........MIKE
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Options
    Let me

add on here and ask how to locate a gyp-crete pouring contractor in the MD DC area. I'm looking at a job that needs it and have never done one before. Thanks for any help you can give. WW

• Dan Foley
    Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,258
    Options
    Gyp

Wayne,

Call Wayne at Blue Ridge Radiant in Charlottesville or try Belt Radiant in Baltimore. Both are reputable applicators who know what they are doing. Good luck!

-DF

• Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    Options
    Western NY

Sorry we are in Hamburg NY. On lake Erie. South of Buffalo. We might come to Mass. if it is big enough, but it would have to be good size floor to justify the travel. We've been to Atlanta GA, Illinois,Long Island, Albany NY and everyplace in between. I bet there is a closer applicator that could help. Make sure they are familiar with and have experience in pours over radiant tubes. Most applicators spend their days in the commercial end of construction. A new hotel/motel is not as fussy as someones dream house.Give me a call- 716-913-4166
This discussion has been closed.