Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mechanical Room Make-Up Air

Options
Steve J
Steve J Member Posts: 4
Does anyone know how to calculate the volume of make-up air for a residential boiler room. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• don_22
    don_22 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Gas Appliance Service

has a nice book for 6.00 dollars that will get you where you want to go.Not sure if price has gone up,but it worth
    even more.

Gas Appliance Service# 401-437-0557.
  • mickey_2
    mickey_2 Member Posts: 13
    Options

• Dave Palmer_3
    Dave Palmer_3 Member Posts: 388
    Options
    is it confined space?

to figure that length x width x height x 20 =total btu input for that room

if air directly from outdoors total firing rate of all units divided by 4000 = sq. inches of each opening

you need 2,12 inches off ceiling and floor
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options

Also consider the amount of piping in the room. My mother has a very small mechanical room, maybe 9'x5' with two Budurus 124 units and lots of radiant piping. In the summertime, this room always overheats, even though the boilers have dedicted makup-air blowers in addition to the blowers found on the units themselves.

I'll probably have these blowers rewired to come on as a function of either the boilers calling for heat OR the temperature inside the room being above a certain limit. It's never too hot in Maine for that and the electronics in that room (controlling the heating system) will last longer to boot.

My own house will have sealed combustion heating appliances. That takes care of makup air. However, the kitchen stove, the fireplaces, and the gas dryer still need makup air... just not as badly.
This discussion has been closed.