Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

residential boiler specs +

Options
Herz
Herz Member Posts: 2
Background:
The metrowest Massachusetts 1650 ft2 2-story colonial with gambrel addition, attic and basement was built in 1948, and is heated using an oil-fired boiler hydronic heating system (forced hot water). The boiler is a 20+ year old Slant-Fin tankless boiler that has been converted to an indirect hydronic system by the prior owner. The system has 2 zones: 1 zone feeds 15 in-wall (recessed) finned convectors via a closed loop; 1 zone feeds the 30-gal hot water tank, used for domestic hot water requirements. The hot water tank was replaced in February 2003, and is considered in excellent condition (it does not to be replaced.)

The Slant-Fin is oversized: a M-200, with 2.0 gph capacity, with nozzles throttling consumption down at 1.2 gph.

The heating system exhausts into one flue of a two-flue chimney. The boiler is located in the basement, and is considered to be very accessible, with adequate surrounding workspace.

Considerations:
As the HO, we purchased the house knowing we would have to replace the boiler on our watch. This past heating season, after an annual service, the system shut down. We came home after a football party to a small puddle next to the boiler and no heat. Knowledgeable serviceman indicated that a seal was leaking; when the system was running, water from leak was either evaporating, or with heat, the system was sealing itself.

New baby coming in May 04; I’ll bet – if we don’t replace the boiler and associated mechanicals – that the system will go at the most inopportune time, next winter in the coldest spell possible.

Wife and baby plan to spend 3 weeks this summer with her mom; I am considering that to be the best time to replace a boiler system.

There are also some other small plumbing/heating changes that I would incorporate while the professionals are in the house. I would be looking for their suggestions on heating improvements to the coldest room in the house…the baby’s room. This may include running additional heat up the room. (My worst case scenario, I’ll cover the windows with plastic and plug in an electric heater.)

Another consideration would be a heating run for a currently unheated sunroom (10x12).

House is fairly well insulated, as we focused on that first. We are not planning to be in the house probably another 5 years, but a) who knows, and b) I believe in the doing the right thing.

I have spent several (probably around 12-18 hours) reading and learning. I like to be an informed consumer. (I grew up on wood heat in the southeast, so I had no boiler experience up to now.) From what learned on this site and others, I like the European models. I do not have my mind set on one or two specific models, and want to compare between the various offers and systems.

Questions:
I would like to offer prospective contractors a set of specifications (I am using this term loosely) to be able to compare bids/estimates better. I have not found a set of residential boiler replacement specifications on the web.
1) Is this idea of specifications a bad idea? Good idea? Why?
2) If there are such specifications out there, would someone please point me towards the website or other resource?

What are the advantages to having outdoor and indoor temperature controls?

Should I rely on the professionals doing the heat calc, or should try to master that on my own, to have something to compare to in reviewing bids/estimates?

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to getting bids now for a replacement in the summer? Are there any advantages/disadvantages to doing the replacement in the summer?

Having read through the above story, are there considerations that you feel I should be thinking about, given my situation?

Finally, I have been watching posting on the Wall on and off. If you made it this far in my post, thanks so much, and thanks for your suggestions and comments.

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    something to try

where you live in the Mass area, being a country hick not sure what metrowest is, I would check with and recieve a number of bid's from area company's..Click on the find a pro link, get a number of name's and see what they offer for option's and bid's.. I personally would listen to your gut when it come's to your choice. As to doing it mid-summer, nice way to do it. not pressed for time from cold or multiple call's so neater,nicer job done. Can also open the house so you don't end up with nasty smell's from soot from old unit and installation of new unit..IMHO...:)
  • Mike F
    Mike F Member Posts: 23
    Options

I would recomend buderus 115 34 with riello burner, egomatic outdoor reset control and room sensor. I can not say enough good things about their boilers. Far superior to any american boiler and much more reasonable price than the top of the line veisman. With outdoor and indoor sensors you get constant cirulation and more even heat with-in the room and room to room. So baby's room may be ok with new system. If not it may be as simple as cutting down on the output of the convectors in the warmest rooms. You could do this with aluminum foil, blocking off some of the heating element under the convector cover. Or if you are lucky they have dampers built right in.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    good thinking!

here are some ideas ... you may be able to install some piece of base board cut in the existing line,or a panel like a buderas panel for example in jr.'s room. viesman are nice as are Buderas, they have thier definite good points. however,some very crafty expenditures here and there and you can get some of the benifits and perhaps more comfort and still be hanging out some where close to the operational and maint.costs.and overall remodeling costs.some one who understands by looking at it might say well...i can get a slant fin 30 a few new valves blah blah blah cut you in a special panel so and so has for sale put in a new zone add a bit of raiant wall or ceiling, on the way get you a F5, tiger loop some tekmar controler taco zone valves and you could rest assured yor dollar was comming out with a decent return... for the expenditure. the buderas might be niffty also its return temp is good with a little cooler temp really not a bad deal ...it comes with a Blue F-5:) on the 115 the new space youd have in the room might shock you as these are deciededly smaller looking oil fired boilers.bare bone viesman are little spendier .ones with 4 way mixers etc etc get after the pocket change in a Hurry:) however they are really different animal. yet the control of all three of these boilers can be accomplished with on shore products .
  • tim w
    tim w Member Posts: 6
    Options
    getting a new

buderus w/ logamatic control would be very good, get three bids and ask ques without wasting a lot of their time, look over boiler specs and literature. Much easier to ask a local pro what they would recommend installing, rather than trying to write a specification, don't forget if its oil please, please have burner checked and adjusted every season for reliabbility, efficiency, and equip life.
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    Good Points

As a fellow MA HO, it's great to see someone also trying to take the care to understand what is going on. Our house is about to get lifted off its foundation, and along with a complete infrastructure gut-job, we're also replacing the burnt-air heating with radiant heat.

I would stay away from writing a spec because it would unduly restrict the contractor to systems *you* know. Rather, I'd use the heat calc as one of the points that allows you distinguish the folks that are running a good shop (i.e. the ones who bother with a Manual-J) versus the folks who simply replace units (who you probably don't want in the house anyway).

I highly recommend HVAC-Calc from Don Sleeth as a tool to calculate your heat gains and losses. It's easy to use, a trial version can be downloaded, and the HO version (only works for 2 months) is a reasonable $50. Besides, you can always use the output later to retrofit an AC system. AFAIK, HVAC-calc also does baseboard heating calcs, though I never used that portion of the program. For our house, the first revision took about 4 hours to complete (I'm slow).

The beauty of outdoor reset, as I see it, is that heating loads are anticipated in advance. Thus, your home will allegedly be more comfortable as the heating system will be matching heat loss more consistently. I've never had the pleasure of living in a home with OR, though I see the logic of having it (I did take control theory in college).

I second the notion of calling the contractors now for bids starting this summer. It gives them plenty of time to gear up, order parts, etc. and schedule you in.
  • Radiant Wizard
    Radiant Wizard Member Posts: 159
    Options
    Boiler Suggestions

Your in the right area for 3-Pass Boilers. Buderus and Biasi US HQ's are right up the road in NH and Viessmann is down the road in RI.

All three are excellent choices. Viessmann does have a boiler that is competative to the Buderus.
  • Paul Mitchell
    Paul Mitchell Member Posts: 266
    Options
    Check out

Energy Kinetics. Very smart...quiet and efficient system.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Herz
    Herz Member Posts: 2
    Options

thanks so much! I will follow up on your suggestions.
This discussion has been closed.