Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Load Calc for a basement

Options
Brian V
Brian V Member Posts: 7
Hey all,

I'm finishing my basement, making a playroom for the crumb snatchers. I ran a load calc on it (heating only), finding it a bit hard to believe the btu's needed (12-14,000). I ran it in both Wrightsoft and Hydronic Explorer, thats why the difference in btu's. If someone can double check for me and make sure I'm not screwing it up. I can see the load if the area was all above grade experiencing the 0deg. Even with no heat the basement maintains 53-55deg...just can't agree with the 12-14mbtu.

Room:
4.5 feet below grade 3feet above grade.

0 degree (Worcester, MA)

70 degree design temp

14x28 feet, 7.5' ceilings

8" concrete

2x4 framing w/R13 bats

Cold partition is 64'

remaining 28' is the other half of the basement, unheated.

1 window double pane, low e 21x31"

1 door, steel, foam fill, 78x36", under a bulkhead (treated as w/storm).

Under finished/heated living space. R19 bats.

Hydronic baseboard.

Boiler design is 145deg (I'm using a proportional controller, high 180 low 145).

Thanks all,
-Brian

Comments

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    I come up with

14.2 btu/ square foot for 392 square feet (14X28), with no under slab insulation, no exterior foam insulation?

The HDS software has a basement calculator that works real nice for this example. www.hydronicpros.com

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • BTUH Needed

Using a quick thumb rule for ball park estimation multiply the square feet of the space by 30 BTU's per sqft. and divide by 2.

The # 2 is the constant that adjusts for the windows, doors
    and the above ground aection of the basement.

14 X 30 = 11760 BTYU's divided by 2 = 5880 BTUH.

In all actuality you would about 4800 BTUH becuase the constant temperature is in the 50+ degree range.

Jake

This discussion has been closed.