Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

8700 ppm

Options
Glen
Glen Member Posts: 855
I sent Al out the other day to clean a boiler. Owner reported that there was some flame rollout. Told Al to test before and after. Now this was a boiler that we installed only a few years ago - so i didn't really expect a serious problem. Howsabout 8700 ppm CO on first test? Passages plugged with soot. Owner thought that the temp setting was too high so set it down. This baby was well sooted. Al came back to the shop many hours later absolutely black - just smiled and asked if he had another call to do. (sent him home for a shower) Final test with a clean boiler and the CO returned to a safe level - 15 ppm. This was probably the highest CO reading I can remember for a small commercial boiler but also why our policy is to test everything that burns fuel.

Comments

• Rudy
    Rudy Member Posts: 482
    Options
    Just curious

Any idea what caused it to soot up in the first place?
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
    Unbelievable!!!!!

Yeah, are you saying he downfired this boiler? Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Glen
    Glen Member Posts: 855
    Options

A couple of things come to mind - cold return water, a mountain of auto parts piled around the boiler impending air flow and dust from the shop (body shop). There is lots of combustion and ventilation air in the room - but if the air can't get there ....They didn't want an annual service agreement when we sold them the boiler - they do now.
This discussion has been closed.