Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Furnace Humidifier Help Needed

Options
Benson
Benson Member Posts: 1
I need help! Last week, I changed the pad on the wheel-type humidifier on my furnace last week. Last night, I went downstairs and noticed that the water was overflowing (coming out the overflow drain).
How can I stop this? Could I have bumped the float device and messed it up? Is ther a way to adjust the float piece to stop the water flow?

Any help/advice is appreciated

Comments

• john_35
    john_35 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    float adj

You didn't give a brand or model # for this humidifier but if it's a Scuttle there's usually a screw to adj the float. It sticks up on the bracket the float swings from. Clockwise lowers water level, counter lets more water in. Most likely it just got hung up anyway, or scummed up. You might want to look into what's called a flow-thru style humidifier. The standing water in float resevoir models is a breeding ground for algae, mold and bacteria. Aprilaire is a manuf with good designs. They probably have a website even.
  • harvey
    harvey Member Posts: 153
    Options
    legionerre's disease

I can't believe those wheel type humidifier don't cause disease problems. Any thoughts?
  • harvey
    Options
    legionerre's disease

I can't believe those wheel type humidifier don't cause disease problems. Any thoughts?
  • harvey
    Options
    legionerre's disease

• john_35
    john_35 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    disease

I think legionella needs to be aresolized and inhaled to give someone the pneumonia that's called legionaires disease. A drum style, or even a flow-thru humidifier doesn't make large enough water droplets to carry the bacteria thru the air. It's the (mostly commercial) vaporizer type humidifier that has that potential. I think. Don't take this as gospel, I'm no scientist or anything. If this were really the case then how would an air-conditioner spread the disease? Anyone else got a theory?
This discussion has been closed.