Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Clean boiler change out

Options
Wayco Wayne_2
Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
to keep things clean during a boiler change out. When you take an old boiler apart there is so much mess. I have used drop cloths but the black water can soak through them. I was thinking of plastic tarps but they could be a problem with bad footing and slipping of the workers. I did a job last Fall where I bought big construction bags to move the old boiler sections out over a long run of carpet, but the boiler room was a mess and needed to be mopped multiple times. I'm interested in your strategies in this part of a change out. WW

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=255&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Remember

back in grade school when the kid next to you got sick and the janitor came in and spread that stuff all over the floor ?

Thats the ticket.

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,113
    Options
    boiler change outs

i use old carpet and a wet vac get all the water out vac the rest stuff with rags if it's oil i vac all the sections.On stairs i 've found these poly traps that are cloth and plastic they wash up like new there great for runners and stairs,they aren't to slippery and liquid doesn't seep through them but a little pricey .I also just saw another product that's simalar to the blue painters tape but in a roll i believe 20 ft. like to give it a try on hard wood floors.In most cases even with white carpet we still manage to keep it clean.We have been know to use laun 4 x 8 sheets to cover out of the oridnary floor and cement work (colered concrete) with traps over them .Bleechedoak is a real tough one for old black boiler water good luck and peace
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Unknown
    Options
    red rosin paper

I used a roll on most jobs. I would lay it down 3 layers thick, and go up the walls a little ways, if going through the finished building.

Pipe plugs in the boiler with teflon tape. Duct tape tankless coil pipes closed. Duct tape over oil burner hole and rag over vent hole.

Speedydry goes down before the job starts in the basement.

If I have to break down the boiler into sections, giant shrinkwrap rolls come in handy to wrap sections in.

Noel
  • jim sokolovic
    jim sokolovic Member Posts: 439
    Options
    Sounds like your specialty, Noel...

Care to give a free demonstration? Thanks, Buddy ;^)
  • We use the red paper and speedy dry too

The guys say it looks like I'm feeding chickens when I spread the speedy out . Truth is , I would rather clean a carpet with a speedy dry footprint on it rather than a sooty wet print any day .

If it's cast iron sections , we split them apart , and to clean them quick , we drop them on the ground hard on each side ( on some of the red paper ) . If it's really sooty we vacuum them down and try to have a fan blowing close toward the chimney , and if theres another fan we have it close to the opening of the room , blowing towards the chimney . That fluffy soot can travel far .

If the section legs are real muddy , we flip the section over and handtruck em out upside down .

I watched one of our subcontracting removal crews use the shrinkwrap on a nasty boiler - it works real good also .

One trick - if you keep clean speedy dry down , walking on it all day will make the floor cleaner than when you arrived .
  • Unknown
    Options
    I think

Ron and I must have been brothers in a former time....
  • David_5
    David_5 Member Posts: 250
    Options
    What we do

Wrap boiler sections in the plastic used to package pallets. The stuff is cheap and sticks to itself really well. We also use a runner from the link below. The runner is plastic and comes on a roll. One side is tacky so it stays put like on stairs so you don't trip on it. We lay it down on the floor from work area to outside door. Customers see it and think it is great.

http://shubee.com/
    Red carpet treatment

David
  • I think they call it

Brothers In Grime .
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    Carpet mask...

comes in 28" wide rolls. Also use a water vac to completely get rid of any drippage prior to movement.

Only caution with carpet mask it that it CAN'T be use on wool carpet, and shouldn't be used on hardwood floors.

Get it at Home Depot. Add it to the cost of the job, because NOTHING is free but free advice:-)

ME

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Options
    Good stuff all

I tried something this time that was a big success. We were taking out an old oil fired ARC cast iron beast. In the past the soot has burned my nose when we break up the boiler into sections and I just hate it. I have a portable dust collector that I got out of a woodworking catalog. We sit it outside and drag in a 30 foot long plastic hose 5" in diameter. I have used it in the past to collect dust when cutting plaster in old houses downtown for A/C systems to blow the plaster dust outside before it settles. It has enormous suction and pulls all of the dust, or soot in this case out of the air and blows it outside. Be careful using it around small pets. If they get anywhere near the end of the tube they be gone and off for a ride. WW

• gehring
    gehring Member Posts: 65
    Options
    boiler change out

I use cardboard. Bust up several large cardboard boxes and lay the cardboard around in several layers, overlapping, etc. It is similar to the rosin paper idea except cardboard can take quite a bit of abuse, soaks up a fair amount of water and gives you a good grip under your feet. You can also try 6 mil plastic sheeting down first, and then the cardboard over top of the plastic for non-slip. I also use a sheet of cardboard when laying under in a dirt crawl space working, etc. as helps keep me clean and allows for a place to lay parts and tools, etc.
  • ken D
    ken D Member Posts: 60
    Options
    Seltzer water

A mom told me she always has seltzer water on hand because of the kids. Might help with soot, etc too? Couldn't hurt to keep some on the van (unopened) for that foot print etc that sends chills down your spine.
This discussion has been closed.