Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A book I highly recommend - Dan H.

Options
DanHolohan
DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,543
<B>Working North - DEW Line to Drill Ship</B> by Rick Ranson. Jack Ennis Martin sent it to me for Christmas and I just finished it. Rick is Jack's buddy.

A terrific book about work in the most incredible conditions I can imagine.

Check it out.
Retired and loving it.

Comments

• DanHolohan
    Options
    Dan's Reading List

is a labor of love, and my favorite part of HeatingHelp.com. I want to tell you why, and this is really personal.

Each month, my daughter, Meghan, and I go to Manhattan and read to the children at the Red Cross Emergency Shelter. This is a huge shelter in Hell's Kitchen where women live with their children. Most are victims of domestic abuse.

We're there for about an hour and a half and we read bedtime stories to the kids in a large playroom. We sit on mats on the floors and the kids get the books off a cart in the center of the room. Usually, there are about 20 New York Cares volunteers and we each get a kid or two. We read for 45 minutes and then do a craft with them. Last month, I learned how to make better paper airplanes. The kids get some milk and cookies and then we clean up and send them back to their moms.

Here's the best part. While we're reading to the children, the mothers are sharing what they've read in a book club. They all read the same book and then discuss it while we're with the kids.

The money to buy those books for the mothers comes from Dan's Reading List.

Every time you buy a book from the list, Amazon.com pays us a commission. It doesn't have to be a book on my list. What Amazon tracks is where you were just before you went to their site to make a purchase. So if you buy ANY book from Amazon.com after visiting us at HeatingHelp.com, Amazon sends us money.

And that money does not affect the price you pay for the book; it comes from Amazon's end.

Each quarter, they send us a gift certificate, which we forward to the people at New York Cares (where my daughter Meg works) and New York Cares then buys the books for the mothers.

And the world gets a little better each day. I wish you could see their faces, and the way they smile. There's hope.

If you're going to buy a book from Amazon.com, please stop here first.

Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.
  • George_10
    George_10 Member Posts: 580
    Options
    Be careful Dan

You are going to give the Irish a good name. I certainly appreciate your kind heart.

From a fellow celebrator of St Patty's Day. Which by the way is my favorite day of the year.

George Hunt
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    St. Pats.

George, I'll take the day off and go to the parade this year. I say that every year, but this year I think I'll do it.

I marched in it once when I was a lad. Carried a big tuba for Hicksville Junior High and made the front page of the New York Daily News.

I think I'll go this year.

Thanks for the inspiration!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Boiler Guy
    Boiler Guy Member Posts: 585
    Options
    Dan

I have been there. Met some reeeel interesting characteres over the 4 years (winter seasons) I spent up there.

Tim
  • If I only knew

I buy a book every week or 2 from Amazon . Lately it's been Ebooks . From now on I'll link to Amazon from your website . Is the contribution just for books or is it for anything you buy from Amazon ?
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    It's for anything anyone buys

Anything at all. And it doesn't cost you a thing. Thanks, Ron.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    St. Pat's P-rade in NYC

Went there to catch son John marching with his high school group. He was part of a precision drill team that performed stunts like you'd expect to see at West Point - tossing rifles, etc.

Day prior we stop at Saks of 5th ave & wind to the top floor - jewelry dept. I'm checking out some very expensive stuff in a glass case & say to the person standing next to me - wow, that's some price tag! He replies it sure is & I recognize the voice - it's Paul Sorvino!

Next day, we try securing aspot at St. Pat's Catherdral to see John & get sandwiched. Miss seeing him, so we frab a cab one block back & dash to Central Park. Jumping out we bump into - Paul Sorvino! Miss John by seconds.

Grab a cab again & same scenario except no Sorvino.

Walking for several blocks, we catch a cab back D-twn. Seeing an Irish pub, we stop in and manage to catch a shot of John on the tube (from afar). So we did get to see him march in the P-rade after all. Everyone in the pub celebrated with us.

One final encounter takes place with Sorvino at a restaurant. He gives us a look as if he's thinking we're stalking him(G).

What a town!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.