Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

SlantFin's Heat loss

Options
I am in the progress of replacing old CI raditors with CI baseboards. I have obtained and used SlantFin's heat loss program to size the baseboard. I have not heard of many people here on the wall speak of it. Is this a good program for a homeowner remodler to use. Will this do what I want it to do?

Comments

• Dave Stroman
    Dave Stroman Member Posts: 765
    Options

That is the program I have been using lately.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Dave Ewald
    Dave Ewald Member Posts: 36
    Options
    Halls

It has you add up heat loss room by room. It doesn't mention halls and foyers or basements specifically, so when I used it I added these as "rooms". I have a row house, so I wasn't sure if I should count some walls as exterior or not: one adjoining house was vacant but someone just moved into one of the two apartments. I wonder what I=B=R says in their guidance.
  • Alan(CaliforniaRadiant)Forbes
    Options
    Hydronic Explorer

We've been using it for at least a year now and it's been wonderful; easy to use, lots of drop-down menus and it's free.

Thanks Slant-Fin.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Unknown
    Options
    You really should figure all of the spaces.

A space that is in the middle floor of at least three heated floors, that has no outside walls, will have a heat loss of zero. The calcs will reflect that.

Top floor halls will have losses, and bottom floor ones will also have losses. Any space with a cold wall will have losses.

We aren't trying to figure just the volume of air in a room, we are trying to measure all of the cold surfaces surrounding that mass of air. If your calculations have covered all of the exposed surfaces of the building, the rooms with no losses won't make a difference in the total, if they were left out.

I hope this helps

Noel
This discussion has been closed.