Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

WattsRadiant Onix staple-up

Options
lekpeter
lekpeter Member Posts: 35
Has anyone used WattsRadiant's, 3/8 Onix tubing staple-up system, which doesn't use heat transfer plates, successfully?

thanks in advance

lek

Comments

• Art Pittaway
    Art Pittaway Member Posts: 230
    Options
    Yes,

Lots of people knock the Heatway/Watts Radiant product but it's easy to work with and when installed correctly is dead quiet (no expansion squeeks) and heats very well. I know because I worked for the Illinois rep and planned and watched many, many installs. PEX is cheap in price and everyone that uses it has kinked it. Entran can't be kinked and other than the junk GoodYear sold Heatway the product is great. IMHO Art
  • Bill Nye
    Bill Nye Member Posts: 221
    Options
    I have

it in my house. The rep. gave me some incentive pricing at the time I installed it. The framing in my 1911 house is a little strange and my 1996 addition has some solid blocking and 12"oc framing.

Installing the tubing was like trying to lace a pair of shoes. I don't think I could have done it w/pex.

I have it under tile and oak. 130° F water on the coldest day of the year. No noise , no squeaks , no ticks. I used foil faced insulation with a 1-2 " air gap. No plates, no problem. BUT , the construction is real tight and the areas heated are rather small. I don't regret doing it.
  • lekpeter
    lekpeter Member Posts: 35
    Options
    Watts Onix staple-up

Thanks for the feedback.
    The stuff sure is easy to work with.
    I was worried about not having plates to spread the heat around, but I'm assuming the recommended foil-faced insulation substitutes for the plates.

Thanks again.

Lek
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    it's

a dream to install in tight spaces where PEX can't be utilized.

We recently used it in an old farm house where we had to install radiant under the bathroom. Lots of plumbing lines and electrical wiring to work around and through. Piece of cake!

Then there was the hardwood installation retro-fit with about ten gazillion nails protruding into the joist bays. Snaked that Entran right around all of the obstructions without a moment's trouble.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    It can and

does work. I have some in my home as well as two previous. The Watts Radiant Team is top notch!

Fitting and clamp issues haunted the product for years, looks like they may have a good combo now.

It will cost you some higher temperature. Research and articles show about 7 degrees difference from fluid to outer wall. Rubber is an insulator!

Make sure you run a heat calc first. Watch the BTU/ sq. ft. requirement and understand the limitations.

I'd stay away from any design requiring water temperatures over maybe 160F. Makes me nervous with direct contact to wood at that elevated temperature for extended periods :)

Plywood, OSC, and other engineered products may get uncomfortable at that temperature, as well as the floor coverings. I've seen some squirmy vinyl covering on high temperature staple ups. Smells bad too!

Too bad they don't offer aluminum transfer plates to fit the product :)

My thoughts.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.