Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

thermostat placement problem

Options
I have an unusual, upside-down house. The main living area is on the 2nd floor and all cathedral - 16' ceilings in great room/kitchen, 18' ceiling in master bedroom. 1st floor is served by it's own heat/ac system, as is 2nd. Problem is that 2nd floor heat/ac thermostat is located in bedroom over unheated garage. If thermostat is set so bedroom is comfortable, main room is way too hot (big sun load), if main room is comfy, bedroom is very cold.

Can anything be done about this? Moving the thermostat comes to mind but not sure if that is just switching deck chairs on the Titanic - ie; reversing the problem.

Can this system be zoned further somehow?

Oh yeah, forced air hydronic heat. New boiler and air handlers last year - 1 for each floor.

Mike

Comments

• jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    Options
    I like

to read return air Mike. Return air is pretty much your constant in a forced air system. In order for you to read return you need to have a proper duct system with correctly installed, sized and placed returns so that every molcule of air in your home is in motion. You can try placing the stat near a return in the home. Sometimes in commercial building the stat is mounted in/on the return at the unit and you can try that. with the solar gain and the room above the garage you may need to take a hard look at your duct system. Paddle/ceiling fans help to circulate air in the space. Best Wishes J.Lockard
  • Bill Nye
    Bill Nye Member Posts: 221
    Options
    If The

Ducts are accessable ?[sp] Maybe you could use zone dampers on the second floor and zone the bedroom from the living area?

Hard to say w/o seeing it. In some of the houses my old boss did he would have 4 or 5 air handlers and 7-8 zones. { for really rich people} That meant a lot of low voltage wiring for me.
This discussion has been closed.