Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New boiler replacement

Options
Donna
Donna Member Posts: 1
Hi,

I just got a quote to replace my 20 year old steam boiler with a new WM boiler. The quote was $6,800 ($4,300 for the new WM boiler and $2,500 for labor/permit/materials). This quote includes 1 year warranty from the contractor as well. Is this quote reasonable?

I have a mixed use building (one retail unit and 4 apartments) with approx 4,500 Sq. Ft. The old boiler is Peerless Serie 62. It is 20 year old and leaking. This contractor seems knowledgible. He recommended WM because it is a modular and can be replaced only a section if found leaking. I'm still worried because some of the radiators did not generate heat while some generated too much heat. I'm not sure if that was because of the leaky boiler or those radiators need repair/replacement. I just bought this building a few months ago and discovered this problem after the closing. If I install the new boiler, how likely that the radiators will start working again? Thanks for all advices...

Comments

• Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    New boiler

We do not generally discuss pricing here so I will not comment on that.

Your radiator problems will not go away with the new boiler. Something else is going on there.

Make sure you mention those problems to the contractor.

Mark H

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    That said...

you need to do your homework on the installing contractor. If you're comfortable with the price, then get familiar with the contractor doing the work. Ask them for references. Call the references and actually go out to look at his completed operations. Ask the consumers if they've had any issues with the system and see how the contractor handled these issues.

Be a good consumer. Do due dilligence. And above all, remember that you're about to jump into bed with the contractor for the next 20 years or so depending on your warranty.

ME
This discussion has been closed.