Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Servicing conversion burners

Options
Ken C.
Ken C. Member Posts: 267
I'm a plumber who's learning the heating trade, but whenever I encounter a conversion burner, I'm lost. I've done some searching on the Internet and read several heating books, but found little information about repairing conversion burners, so I'm hoping some of you folks can help. My questions: 1) Are they still making conversion burners today? If not, when did they stop? 2) Are parts still available for them? 3) Are they even worth fixing? Most of the units that have a conversion burner are pretty old, so I usually recommend that the customer considering a new boiler. 4) Any advice on things to look for when servicing them? The last two I saw had a lit pilot, but the main burner would not turn on. 5) Do you know of any manuals, websites, publications, etc. that discuss conversion burners in detail? Thanks.

Comments

• Glenn Harrison_2
    Glenn Harrison_2 Member Posts: 845
    Options
    The person you want to talk to is Tim McElwain of

the Gas Appliance Service Training Center in Rhode Island. Tim hangs out here alot on "The Wall" and am sure he will post a thread for you. But if you want an early jump, contact Tim at gastc@cox.net and ask him any questions about conversion burners you have, and ask him for a list of his manuals. He has written some great stuff on Conversion burners along with everything else gas service related. You won't go wrong by talking to Tim.

Good luck, Glenn.
  • I have everything you need

on Conversion Burners. It is contained in a manual that I sell called Conversion Burners and Combustion Testing.

They are still making power conversion burners, companies like Midco (Economite), Carlin, Wayne and some others. There are parts available for most of them. Some of the older atmoshperic conversion burners which are no longer made may be hard to find parts for. In my estimation they are worth repairing unless they are installed in one of the old converted coal boilers or furnaces, those may need to be replaced. The things required for troubleshooting pilots and gas valves are the same as for any typical gas system which we also have manuals on and conduct trainng classes on all of this. With out formal training you can not really do an adequate job on servicing gas equipment. There are many things to look for when servicing conversion burners too numerous to post here. If you will reach me by e-mail I can send you some catalogs.
This discussion has been closed.