Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

toe kick heater

jeff_20
jeff_20 Member Posts: 9
I just installed a turbonics toester toe kick heater. I have a 1958 hot water baseboard system that is not typical. The baseboard heater inlet and outlet run into the same pipe. The problem is that the toekick does not get hot water through it. One side gets warm but the water don't make it through the heater. CaN I fix this? Can I even put a toe kick heater on this type of heat system. It is almost as if the toekick coils are to much for the system to pull through? Thanks

Comments

• David Sutton_3
    David Sutton_3 Member Posts: 160
    how far apart are your tee's??

• jeff_20

3 feet thanks
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    What you need...

is something to cause the water to "want" to flow through the FCU. Nibco makes these cute little insert devices called venturi fittings. You'll need one as a diverter, and one as a venturi. Hopefully the FCU is not the last thing on line, otherwise the water may be too cool to do you any good anyways.

Here's an exploded view of a double venturi fitting I developed for use with a one pipe system and panel radiators.

ME
  • jeff_20

sry, 1 foot
  • jeff_20

my T is a 1 3/4" going to 1/2" does that matter?
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Not enough pressure drop ..

betwixt the two tees to cause flow to "want" to flow through the side branches. The fitting I showed you is a 3/4" main with a 1/2" branch.

ME
  • jeff_20

my main is 1 3/4" so do i remove the existing t and go to a 1 3/4" to 3/4" T? then to 1/2"? all existing baseboard has the 1 3/4" to 1/2" T thanks
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Confusion prevails...

Jeff, there is not a pipe size of 1 3/4"

Pipe sizes for hot water heating are usually based on the inside diameter. If your O.D. of the pipe is 1-5/8", then its' I.D. is 1-1/2" Regardless, the water still has no incentive to flwo through the branches. THey make the insert fittings up to 1-1/2" if memory serves me correctly.

Can you generate a simple schematic using MS Paint to clarify your piping arrangement?

Thanks

ME
  • jeff_20

Sry, I am lucky I can sweat a pipe. Yeah the o.d. is 1 5/8" So I may be able to get the fittings your talking about in a 1 1/2"? Do you understand my system? what is that called? thanks
  • Mark Eatherton1
    That or...

in leiu of a venturi fitting, you could install a ball valve between the two tees and close it just enough to cause flow thru the T's.

Or, you could spend some bigger bucks and actually purchase MonoFlo Tees from a wholesale supplier.

ME
  • LEAD PIPE
    LEAD PIPE Member Posts: 199
    ball valve

There is a heating zone after the toe kick heater T, would installing a ball valve between them cause a problem for for that heating zone? Maybe Jeff can include this in his next (cough cough) drawing.
  • LEAD PIPE
    LEAD PIPE Member Posts: 199
    sorry

Its not another zone off the pipe it is another t in the pipe that gos to a baseboard off that same line.(after the toe kick.) Would the ball valve cause any problems with this baseboard and where would the ball valve be installed? My guess would be between the suply. and return of the toe kick.

thanks
This discussion has been closed.