Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Altitude Gauge

FC
FC Member Posts: 3
Can someone explain to me the function of an altitude gauge on a gas fire boiler (American Standard...pretty old). The gauge is a combination thermometer and altitude. I just don't know what the altitude reading indicates....sometimes it goes into the red danger zone ??

Comments

• Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    A.K.A....

Tridicator. It shows pressure of fill, static head (altitude) and temperature. The first two are essentialy the same. If yours is going into the red, it indicates a need for service. Your expansion tank may be water logged, and your pressure relief valve may need replaced. If you don't feel comfortable working with fire and water, contact a professional qualified to do the work for you. Try Find a Professional on this board.

ME
  • FC
    Altitude Gauge

Thanks for the info. One follow up....how can I tell if the expansion tank is full ?
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    expansion tanks

conventional tank---drain it. be sure to break vacuum. x-trol bladder diaphram type shut auto feeder pres. red. valve to isolate. run system. if pressure climbs----replace x-trol tank---most probably ruptured.
  • FC
    Altitude Gauge

Replaced tank this morning. Now pressure goes right up to the red (30 lbs), but goes no further. The old tank was
    definitely full. It was from 1986. I guess it lasted long enough. Under $30 and some sweat did the trick (hopefully). Thanks for the help.
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    You still may have a problem....

generally speaking, the intial fill is based on 1/2 PSI per vertical foot of system elevation above the gauge, plus 5 PSI. You may need to readjust or replace the pressure reduction device.

Either that, or the new tank you put on is substantially undersized...

ME
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177

i am waiting for our court notice's to be served. lol
This discussion has been closed.