Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pilot

Options
Billy_3
Billy_3 Member Posts: 42
There is a nursing home with 2 Burnham series 2 boilers that are tied in together. It has 3 zones. One of the boilers the pilot keeps going out. The boilers are not even a year old and were installed by someone else. I replaced the thermocouple and I have been back twice because it still keeps going out. Both boilers have 8" flues. There are 2 liners in the chimney one is an 8" and the other is a 6. The one that keeps going out has a draft inducer and right after the draft inducer the flue is reduced to 6". The other opne goes into the chimney full size. There are two fan in a cans that are behind the boiler that keeps going out but I'm pretty sure they are not blowing the pilot out. Also I checked the spill switch and it dosen't kill the pilot it just keeps the boiler from firing when it is hot. There is a 4 zone taco relay and a tekmar 261 2 stage boiler control. The only thing I can think of is that the gas valve is sticking or something. Or maybe there is a venting issue. If anyone one can think of anything else please let me know thanks.

Comments

• RichW
    RichW Member Posts: 28
    Options
    pilot

I had a similar problem-tried everything.Turned out to be a slow acting gas co. regulator.The first boiler in line barely kept a flame going until the reg. opened.Do you have a way to record the line pressure? Good luck.
  • Number of cause for Pilot outage

if you will go to the bar at the top and click search, then type in Tim Mcelwain the following will give you some answers:

Nov 17, 2003 at 4:22 pm Pilot Outage

October 16, 2003 10:46 pm Pilot Out

September 29, 2003 8:58 PM Let us take a thermocouple

You can also go to WWW.hvactv.com and click on service which will bring you to the best of Tim McElwain there is a visual presentation of troubleshooting pilot outage.
  • pperkins
    pperkins Member Posts: 18
    Options
    pilot

On some cast iron burners if you add to much primary air burners with pop on flame shut down.Should adjust air so there's no yellow in flame.They make spark ignition kits if all else fails...good luck.I work for a gas company in service dept.come across that a lot.
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    Venting issues...

as taught by the Guru of Partially Burnt BTU's (Jim Davis).

It is possible that you are getting a "pooling" of carbon dioxide in the combustion chamber due to venting issues.

You mentioned that the Fans in Cans goes out, do you mean they turn off when they shouldn't?

ME
  • Billy_3
    Billy_3 Member Posts: 42
    Options
    no

What I meant to say was that the fan in a cans are located behind the boiler that is having the problem. THey are working correctly. Sorry for the confusion
This discussion has been closed.