Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

$4,524 For Munchkin M80 & Install?

Options
K Penniman
K Penniman Member Posts: 53
Happy Holidays!

Is $4,524 a fair quote to purchase and install a Munchkin M80? Installation includes mounting the boiler and piping it up for one zone of radiant heat, one zone of baseboard heat, and a spare zone for the future. A condensate pump will be installed to handle the water produced in the vent of the boiler.

I'm replacing my forced hot air furnace and trying to keep the radiant project within my slim budget. I plan to DIY the staple-up of Onyx tubing to help keep costs down.

A competing contractor suggested that this quote was too rich. I haven't been able to price the M80 and have no idea if the quote is reasonable or not.

Thanks for any help!

K

Comments

• Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    Options
    Sounds

A little on the light side if anything. Obviously you're going to need a two temp system so there's going to be a mixing valve or injection loop and a control to run that. The boiler is one piece of the puzzle. You should be wondering more about how it will be installed and controlled. That's what will cost as much or more than the boiler and will also make the difference as to whether the system works as advertised. Check the installer, not the price.
  • Floyd_5
    Floyd_5 Member Posts: 418
    Options
    Is that all???

better check out that he actually knows what he is doing for that.....
    Also I would rethink the staple-up deal....are you SURE that you can get enough heat out of the tubing without plates????

Costs way more to do it twice than to do it right the FIRST time!

Floyd
  • Wayco Wayne
    Wayco Wayne Member Posts: 615
    Options
    It's a good price

if he knows waht he's doing. At least in my neighborhood. WW

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Good point...

What type of control or mixing? How many temperatures are needed for the design? Will there be an indirect DHW tank attached to the boiler?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    That's

low in my opinion, but as was mentioned - the bells & whistles can make or break the installation.

• steve_26
    steve_26 Member Posts: 82
    Options
    price

Another contractor not getting what he's worth.
    sounds like someone has no idea what it cost to stay in Business...Install boiler,all piping,controls and labor plus overhead and profit???????????.Uncle Sam's best friend.
    Steve
  • Murph'_4
    Murph'_4 Member Posts: 209
    Options
    Why not just put it in for cost..........

that is what everyone will want after posting pricing on open forums. everyones cost is different, and every job is different.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,113
    Options
    pricing

you can't even get me at that price for a walk in walk out 3 section mcleam oil it don't sound right espically for a munkin boiler does that include everything right like a boiler?
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Options
    I Agree with Murph

This installer is hooking up to one bb zone and leaving a second zone valve for future use . He is not installing a injection system or building a flow control board like the craftsman that we see post their fine works on the Wall ...... the works of the men responding to this post . You can make it work , you can make it look great , you can make a masterpiece of a system .They all have a different price. I agree with Murph it helps little, discussing price on the wall......
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    I, for one................

will not ever get into some other guys pricing, since I don't know his business, unless I think it's dangerously low. You never know, it could be one of my project prices someone thinks is insane next time ;-) But we all know I do low bid work, right?

hb

"You don't always get what you pay for, but you never get what you don't pay for."

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Frank_15
    Frank_15 Member Posts: 33
    Options
    sounds too good

to be true. Make sure he is planning on doing it right
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    What is the design water temperature........

for the radiant? If your budget is slim, using a cast iron or steel boiler may be a more viable option. It sounds like you are not going to have much condensing going on. And since that is the point of condsensing equipment, the Munchkin is may not the ideal match to your system.

hb

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Mark Wolff
    Mark Wolff Member Posts: 256
    Options
    Controls?

I thought for that price the radiant system would be gravity fed and the the stand for the boiler is extra. That's a very nice price, if the guy knows what he's doing, you're getting a great deal. If he doesn't, well, sorry in advance. As for the other guy, it sounds like he doesn't know anything about boilers, or he works for a non-profit heating-to-all-for-free corporation funded by the government.

Ask the contractor a few questions on whether he has brake light service (we warranty our work as long as you can see our brake lights) or 1 year full warranty, and ask for references. Actually call the references, and if possible stop by to see samples of his work. A craftsman won't mind.
  • K Penniman
    K Penniman Member Posts: 53
    Options
    Thank you all very much and Happy Holidays!

Great replies! The fellow who provided me the quote is indeed reputable and well-liked in my area. I have no doubt that he will do what it takes to get my system working properly. Thank you all for providing additional questions for me to discuss with him. I feel more educated than I had been and am comfortable with his initial quote, however, I'll be curious to learn what it may not include.

As a note, I've decided to scrap the zone of baseboard and go with radiant heat throughout.

Thank you again for your feedback!

Kip
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,538
    Options
    And that's

what the Wall is all about.

Thanks, lads.
    Retired and loving it.
This discussion has been closed.