Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam valve washers (rubber composition disks)

Tim Gardner
Tim Gardner Member Posts: 183
I'm trying to locate new washers for some old steam valves. I am told that regular rubber won't withstand steam, so they must be made of a specially formulated type of composition rubber.

New American valves are only $20 each, but I much prefer the original 1925 ones with the wood handles and finer details. I emailed the company to ask where I could order the composition disks but have not heard back yet.

The plumbing supply house and the replacement parts store and the best hardward store in my area does not have anything.

I need something to fit in a 1 1/4 angle valve. The one in there now is about 1 1/2 outer diameter with a 3/8 inch hole in the middle, but the metal part which closes on it is 1 1/4 diameter, so the inner hole could be a bit bigger and the outer size does not need to be a full 1 1/2.

If I could buy some of the compisition disk material I could cut my own. Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Al Letellier
    Al Letellier Member Posts: 781
    valve rubber

Don't know where you're located but here in Portland we have a company called Portland Rubber that sells hoses, belts, sheet rubber and almost anything made of rubber. Also have acompany that sells and makes gaskets and seals of every type imaginable. Check your local area for this kind of supplier and you may find what you're looking for. We use to repack valves in the paper mill here with specialty rubber gasker materials purchased from this supplier. Good luck.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • John@Reliable_5
    John@Reliable_5 Member Posts: 76
    Try a good auto/truck parts store, they will have sheets 12\"x12\"

they look like flat black marble about 1/8" thick and cut easy. Also I think grangers has it too. Hope this helps John@Reliable
  • Tim Gardner
    Tim Gardner Member Posts: 183

Are you sure this can withstand steam? The parts store guys say the regular stuff can not.

Thanks,
    Tim
  • DenverRL
    DenverRL Member Posts: 2
    apt owner

Does anyone know who might manufacture a steam valve washers seat for a 1+1/2 and 1+ 1/4 inch angle shut off valves that connect to low pressser steam radiators. if so please text me at 720-255-7325
  • Mike Kusiak_2
    Mike Kusiak_2 Member Posts: 604
    edited January 2011
    Rubber sheet

Check out Mcmaster-Carr. They stock just about every type of rubber known to man. They also have a selector which shows the characteristics of each type of rubber and the recommended temperature range.

http://www.mcmaster.com/?orderview=new#rubber-sheets/=ak9mc9

Viton might be best for the application, as it is good to 400F, but is a little pricey. Used for high temperature valve seals in automotive engines.

http://www.mcmaster.com/?orderview=new#viton-fluoroelastomer-rubber-sheets/=ak9u30
  • scrook_2
    scrook_2 Member Posts: 610
    EPDM rubber

EPDM rubber is what's generally used for steam service. Second the endorsement of McMaster-Carr
This discussion has been closed.