Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Waste Oil fired radiant (hr)

Options
Earthfire
Earthfire Member Posts: 543
another good looking compact work of art. any special tricks with the oil supply, filters, strainers ???

Comments

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Fired up

this system yesterday. A 10,000 sq ft diesel repair shop. I used a 115 gallon buffer tank to even out the small office zone against the 8700 feet of shop zone.

Wirsbo 5/8' MultiCor 15" oc, and 1/2" 12" oc in the office zone.

The Clean Burn boiler purrs! I made the mistake of creating a hard to purge area in the top of the buffer tank. Took me an hour to purge up through the boiler. I need to rotate the tank to allow a high point air purge point.

Other than that the first call allowed the boiler to run for 45 minutes with a 50F slab temperature on start.

Fun to watch the temperature gauges on an injection mix point. Not uncommon to see 70 degree delta t's.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    Tell them..

to follow the manufacturers manitenance instruction explicitly, or they too will be dissatisfied with the product.

The appliance name implies maintenance and operation instructions. Clean, burn...Clean, burn...

Beautiful job HR. Keep up the good work and tell everyone on Knowitall Ln Happy THanksgiving!

ME
  • Colin
    Colin Member Posts: 50
    Options
    Box

I love the way you think outside the box. Or tank in this case. Keep up the inspirational work. Colin
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    FYI

Take care when cleaning a waste oil heater - the remnants contain heavy metals. NIOSH resp + tyvec suits are in order.

CB makes the best waste oil unit (IMHO) & as long as the owners remember to check the air/oil adjustments, they'll provide excellent results.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Jared M
    Jared M Member Posts: 31
    Options

Hot Rod, I noticed the B&G PL series pump you used on that job. Did you notice that pump to be noisy at all? I ask because I just started up a job with one of these last week and it's really noisy. I plan to speal to the B&G rep about it...maybe I just got a bad pump. This is the first one of that series we have used....I use the NRF22's and I love them.

-Jared
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    Options
    The PL's

Are noisey. They are open design for cooling reasons and they just will make noise being constructed that way. I never use them in residential apps unless the boiler room is very isolated from the living quarters. They do however, move a lot of water for the buck.
  • hr
    Options
    PL's are

getting better, noise wise. The very first ones were very noisy. This circ came with the Clean Burn as the boiler pump.

In this diesel shop the noise wasn't an issue. A large compressor will be located next to this boiler, that should over noise the PL :)

They are a fairly inexpensive pump if you need to move some larger gpm and head. Quite a bit cheaper than a comp wet rotor circ.

I suppose that open frame motor is less costly to produce. The line has been expanded and there are quite of few PL choices, now. A nice snowmelt circ.

Heavy little buggers! Don't mount them on a sheetrock wall in a residential application, the whole house will shake rattle and roll :)

hot rod

• Jared M
    Jared M Member Posts: 31
    Options
    Thanks

for the comments guys....I suppose we will have to replace this one with a quieter circulator.
    -Jared
  • Glenn Harrison_2
    Glenn Harrison_2 Member Posts: 845
    Options
    Nice Job HotRod

That CleanBurn unit makes the Reznor Used Oil furnasty I get to work on sometimes look like a walk in the park.

Just out of curiosty, what is that brass device just to the right of the PL pump? I don't recognize it.
  • hr
    Options
    That brass

is a Jomar Filter Ball valve. Inside the ball is a filter that can be removed wity the valve in the closed position. Gives you a strainer and iso valve in one package. I use these on start up to protect the pumps. I usually remove the strainer and hang it nearby after some run time.

It a fairly small tight mesh strainer and could cause cavitation down the road, with very little debris!

hot rod

This discussion has been closed.