Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

RFH Under Old Softwood Floor

Options
John_37
John_37 Member Posts: 25
I've been reading some of Dan Holohan's books on radiant floor heating trying to decide if it is something I could use to heat my home. In the area of installation he talks at length about the pit falls on staple-up jobs under wood floors. My house has a full 1 inch redwood sub-floor and a 34 inch, 1X6 T&G redwood finish floor. Both are 110 years old. The finish floor has gaps between most boards that range from almost none to about 116th of an inch. I don't know the moister content of the wood but I am only 8 blocks from the ocean and we get a lot of rain. Were in a very small town and none of the people I've talked to have installed under a floor like this. I doubt anyone in this forum has either but maybe someone has installed under something similar like an old pine floor. Should I be concerned with me ruining the floor with RFH under it?

Greg

Comments

• kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    Well it can probably be done....

There are some good rules to abide by though and a few questions. Moisture content less than5%...probably not a concern @110 yrs. although it should be checked. Keep the floor temp @ To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • John_37
    John_37 Member Posts: 25
    Options

Thanks. No tar paper, I'm sure. I'm going to get the moisture content checked soon and we are working on the heat loss calc. In the book Dan says that any floor should never be more than 85F. I will be working with everyone closely it's just that hydronic heat and RFH in particular are not big in this area. It is a small town and people don't have a lot of experience with it. Even the contractors. When it has been used it is in a slab.

Greg
This discussion has been closed.