Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressure Keeps Rising in Boiler Help!!!

Options
Traci
Traci Member Posts: 2
We are having boiler pressure problems. So far we have tested and ruled out the intake valve, the expansion tank (got a new one), the hot water intake. So now there is no water coming into the boiler at all, yet the pressure continues to rise. We are just testing this today so I don't know how high it will go yet. Any ideas, anyone?? Help. Thanks.

Comments

• Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    A couple of things...

If there is a DHW heating function to the boiler, turn the cold water to that part off and see of the pressure stabalizes. If it does, thats the problem. If it doesn't, and the pressure continues to rise with no heat being applied, one of your valves is not shutting off. If the pressure rises when the boiler is firing, and drops when it cools, the expansion tank is in need of service or replacement.

Be careful of the hot water. If the boiler gets above 30 PSI. and it's hot, there is a good chance of a quick release of hot water and you could get scalded.

If in doubt, call a licensed quallified heating pro. Look in Find a Professionsal on this site.

ME
  • Traci
    Traci Member Posts: 2
    Options

I should have metioned it is a National US boiler with a built in tankless hot water heater.
  • ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    Options
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Options
    Boiler pressure

I agree with Ed. It probably is the domestic coil. You did not mention what type of expansion tank. Is it standard or diaphragm type? Where is the auto feeder piped to and what type is it? Where is the expansion tank piped to? I have seen several occasions where the boiler gauge is wrong and the system is actually overfilled.Check gauge accuracy.Also, are you sure the expansion tank is not water logged? Are you sure the relief valve is not weak? A deficiency in any of the above could cause your problem.
  • steve_38
    steve_38 Member Posts: 74
    Options
    I recomend

That you call an experience boiler mech.
    it's not easy to fix a boiler if your not experience
    and just by getting advice by the computer.
This discussion has been closed.