Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant's dirty little secret

Options
Carl PE_2
Carl PE_2 Member Posts: 42
Heard about a museum with radiant heat. If I understood correctly, there are some issues there with dust.

Everyone I've talked to claims these systems don't stir up/circulate/have anything at all to do with it. No airflow, no dust.

You guys have some opinions/experiences to share?

Comments

• don_18
    don_18 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Dust

is what it is,human skin flakes,dander,pollen,and other
    contaminates which is always worse in high taffic area.
    Does not matter if it infloor heat or force air.

Certainly any system that circulate air is going to circulate the dust as well,but to go out on a limb and make a blank statement like that,Well..........
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    While radiant systems

produce little to no air movement, no building is a vacuum.

There are convective air currents in every building.

I would not tell people that they will have no dust issues with a radiant system, though the radiant system will not be the cause.

Mark H

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,538
    Options
    It's the opposite, Mark

With less air movement, dust settles.

The museum I was talking about is the Milwaukee Art Museum.
    Retired and loving it.
  • jerry scharf
    jerry scharf Member Posts: 159
    Options
    more dust with radiant

I would expect more visible dust for a couple reasons. Like Dan said, FA keeps the dust in the air and well distributed. Also, in situations like that, they would probably invest in a high quality air filtration system which would dramaticly resuce the dust levels.

I'll take the radiant floor with a side order of hepa vacuum cleaner.

jerry
  • don_17
    don_17 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I

had no clue that Mr Holohan was a dusthead too.

No airflow,no dust.It still tickles me.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options

Need to develope an Ionic breeze floor covering.Dust would stick to it like a magnet, no more dusting.We would be worshiped by women.
  • Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Options
    radiant vs hot air

for dust, it's no contest. with radiant heat every time you vacuume your floors you are cleaning your heater. there is practically no airborn dust. bob

To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    Howsabout

magnetic water conditioners strapped to the heating supplies. That oughta do it eh... (Hope AO doesn't read this...)

Actually, "dust happens", and there isn't anything you can do about it...but clean it up and keep on moving, stirring up more dust.

Nice shot of the inside of a dirty duct Bob. That would go well in my hydronic sales book!

ME
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    That's just

organic insulation Bob. Keeps the ducks from sweatin' durin' the coolin' months. Yuk, yuk!!

Mark H

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.