Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.


Jeff_28 Member Posts: 2
I was evaluating a steam trap on a univent and noticed some tubing that ran from the inlet side of the coil and tied into the down stream side of the trap, allowing steam to flow freely into the condensate return. The condensate return is all gravity drain. What is the purpose of this tubing – besides wasting energy?


  • Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    I wonder .....

    .....if it's a misplaced drip? Is there a dip in the supply pipe or zone valves for the heating coils?
  • Jeff_28
    Jeff_28 Member Posts: 2

    I do not think it is a drip. The tubing ties into the top of the coil manifold, downstream of the zone valve, and goes up, runs across the coil then makes a turn down to the tie in point. I could not see any other fitting in the tubing. I too thought something is piped wrong but every univent in the school, about 30 units, are piped like this. My first thought is to remove the tubing and blank off the connections, but I'm thinking the tubing is there for a reason.
  • Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Vaccum Breaker

    Could it be a vacuum breaker ? For when the zone valve closes ......the remaining steam will condense dropping pressure and holding back the condensate from draining..
This discussion has been closed.