Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

shut off valves on cast iron radiators

Options
jed
jed Member Posts: 2
I have a 85year old house with cast iron radiators, The valve on the radiators are leaking at the stem, is there a way to fix this problem without replacing the valve , if not how do you replace the valve without cutting pipe.

jed

Comments

• jed
    jed Member Posts: 2
    Options
    leaking valve

I have a 85year old house with cast iron radiators, The valve on the radiators are leaking at the stem, is there a way to fix this problem without replacing the valve , if not how do you replace the valve without cutting pipe.

jed
  • Paul Mitchell
    Paul Mitchell Member Posts: 266
    Options
    valves

the valves should have a union at the radiator. You can also try and tighten the packing nut which is the nut that goes around the stem.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,765
    Options
    packing

Add teflon packing under the packing nut and snug down, usually works. Good luck. Good idea to release pressure off system when doing this.
  • David Efflandt
    David Efflandt Member Posts: 152
    Options
    Faucet packing graphite

You can still do it the way it was done originally (which I did with a couple of mine). Ace Hardware has what they call "faucet packing graphite" which is a graphite impregnated rope. Loosen the packing nut and slide it up the stem, remove some old gunk if necessary, wrap some packing rope around the stem and tighten the packing nut over it. Don't tighten it too much, so you have room to just tighten it some more if it leaks in the future (usually only if the valve was operated, which should be rare).
This discussion has been closed.