Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sizing water requirements for comml laundry

Options
techheat_2
techheat_2 Member Posts: 117
for commercial laundry. Has 2 350lb machines and 2 75 lb machines. Bock recommends 1.5 gph per lb. does anyone have any experience with this. 1325 GPH seems huge

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=313&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Gas or

oil, although my advice is for either.

Pick a manufacturer your comfortable with, give them your requirements and go with it. I haven't done one in a while but most manufacturers would back up their engineering and product if you had a problem.

There are engineering guides (ASPE Hot Water Guide is excellent)that will give you data you can use to get closer to the GPM you actually need (manufacturers are usually very conservative) but then your on your own if you don't meet the demand.

Good luck.
  • Bill_14
    Bill_14 Member Posts: 345
    Options

What is the required water temperature? Health care facilities require at least 160*F. I would assume 140*F. is acceptable otherwise or even 130*F.

How many hours a day and how many days a week will there be a consistent need for hot water?

Generally, a commercial laundry needs about 2.5 gallons of hot & cold water to wash 1# of clothes per cycle with about 70% being hot water and 30% being cold. This being a quick check, that would require about 1.75 gallons of hot water per cycle.

Let your manuafacturer guide you.
  • JackFre
    JackFre Member Posts: 225
    Options
    From another angle

I've been doing a bunch of laundromats with Rinnai on demand systems. For the coin op type we have used anywhere from 4-8 units, depending of course on the number and #age of machines. Your Kahuna 350's require that before I could size that type system I'd have to know what the flow rate to each of those machines is. How long is the cycle. At this time I have about 12 laundromats across New England working very well with these units. I have one commercial laundy in Portland with 5 units on it working fine for the last 3 yrs.

The flow rates are problably pretty high for fill rate. If you can get that number I can give you an option.
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    I've found...

the RayPak sizing guide to be the best. Don't forget to compensate for altitude...

Assuming 40 degree F inlet water, 180 degree max water temps, they reccommend a 3,000,000 btuh boiler and a 1,953 gallon tank for their 75% storage, 25% recovery system.

My experience with commercial laundries WAS that they required 180 degree F water to activate the chlorines in their detergents. Things may (hopefully have) changed since then...

ME
This discussion has been closed.