Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

chiminey falling apart

Options
jim f
jim f Member Posts: 182
i have a project were the clay liner in the chimney is mising. the chimney is 20' high and is going to be extended another 20'with a new clay liner. my question is can i run a stainless steel liner up the 1st 20' and stub it into the new clay liner. any thoughts or potential problems in doing this.

thanks
jim f
tri-city heating and cooling

Comments

• Earthfire
    Earthfire Member Posts: 543
    Options
    liner

run one continous stainless liner sized for the equipment.Why did the existing liner collapse? Does the existing chimney have the proper footings and structural integrity to support another 20 feet of masonary? If the liner broke down due to condensation, the masonary and mortar may be damaged and become a collapse candidate in a few years, especially with the additional stresss of 20 Ft. of additional height and weight.
  • JackFre
    JackFre Member Posts: 225
    Options
    Reline all the way

With todays equipment a masonry chimney is an excellent architectural device but a very poor mechanical device. You are better with a liner or a factory built chimney. Given the cost of the chimney rebuild I would suggest that you look at equipment options which would not require using the chimney.
This discussion has been closed.