Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What made you do it?

Options
Ken C.
Ken C. Member Posts: 267
I'm not looking to start a debate about the pros and cons of being self-employed versus working for someone else. Rather, for those of you who did start your own business, I'm curious as to what was your main reason for striking out on your own. More earning potential? More freedom to do things your way? More flexible schedule? Couldn't find any boss you got along with?

Comments

• Jim_5
    Jim_5 Member Posts: 11
    Options

I worked at a small shop and the owners retired. I really didn't want to be in business. It was buy the shop or go to work somewhere else. They were going to close the place up and I just couldn't let that happen. I knew the extra hours, the dealing with the public, and the paperwork would be no fun at all. I was right, there are some benefits being the owner, but also some real pains to deal with. I have 28 years as worker/owner combined. Good stories and bad stories. Be prepared to work hard and long hours and don't expect a lot of thank yous. Also be prepared to spend a lot more money than you think it will cost.
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    Whenever a 2%'er calls.....

I ask myself the same question!

As my Dad is fond of saying "Having your own business means you can work as many hours as you'd like". The twinkle in his eye gives away the ribbing he's giving you.

Well, it's most assuredly not for the money! The trades fall way behind other careers when it comes to owner-based-compensation.

A determined drive to take thinks one step (or more) beyond what's been achieved yanked at my chain one too many times. In 79, with just $500 in the bank and a used 1966 Ford pickup truck (with a topper), I finally couldn't resist the Siren's call and struck out on my own.

When I was just a one man band, I was able to set my hours to accomodate our youngest son's sports schedule. As a result, I was able to attend almost all of his activities. I also, at that time in my life, developed an addiction to a morning's stop for coffee & doughnuts. Great for commaradarie with the regulars - bad for the waistline! That was also a bad habbit for being productive, which took me several years to realize.

60 hour weeks are the short weeks!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    Responsibility for Destiny

When I screw up I have no one else to blame.

When I succeed I have all of my teachers to compliment.

I left this message on the door to my office one night...

Had to scan it before it went to the trash and titled it "Destiny".

Click if you're interested...

I know it's not a "proper" equation because it is saying that two different values are the same and it has no equivalence. That IS however the ENTIRE idea!
  • Bill_14
    Bill_14 Member Posts: 345
    Options
    A Few Thoughts

It is something you really want to do Ken, regardless of any fears of the unknown. It is just something that you want to do because you are willing to do whatever it takes to make it work. By this I mean, a willingness to work long and hard hours, as needed. You will have to push your self and allow that needed discipline to be your new boss.

Sometimes going into business is not a planned event due to various circumstances, but it should be a carefully planned event if at all possible. However, there is only so much you can plan…sooner or later you just have to “jump in the water”. If your desire to make the jump is strong enough, you don’t look back. Like I said at the beginning, it is something that you really want to do.

I would say that you know your personality, your work ethic, your business savvy and your willingness to continue learning and improving. If this personal knowledge of yourself gives you the confidence to try it on your own, then you are almost there.

There is so much to talk about and I’m sure others will all have good advice and/or comments. I would suggest you read the article in this month’s CONTRACTOR magazine by Joseph Schmitt (page 16) entitled “When It’s Time To Strike Out On Your Own”. Mr. Schmitt is a very talented consultant and his advice on this very subject is good.

Good luck Ken with whatever you decide.

• Bill_14
    Bill_14 Member Posts: 345
    Options
  • S Davis
    S Davis Member Posts: 491
    Options

I could not do the quality of work that I wanted to working for larger shops.
    So I decided to start my own company where I could give my customers the quality of work I thought They deserved, wich I do and am well paid for it.

S Davis
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    My father MADE me do it...

and his fther made HIM do it, and his fathers father (my great grand father) made HIM do it. You see, us Eathertons come from a long line of lazy people. None of us ever wanted to work for anyone, so we worked for ourselves. Many times, we worked for poverty wages (decent living divided by rediculous hours)but we worked hard. More importantly, we partied hard to make up for the hard work:-)

The best advice that I can give anyone who's interested in striking out on their own is to learn all they can about doing business BEFORE jumping into business. As for books, all of Ellen Rohrs, The Emyth, anything by Larry Steinmetz and EVERYTHING by Dan Holohan:-)

Oddly enough, I'm no longer self employed. I help run a company, but I don't own it. I've found my niche in life, and it WASN'T being self employed! It's not for every one. It only took me 25 years to figure it out...

God speed at what ever you do..

ME
  • Paul Mitchell
    Paul Mitchell Member Posts: 266
    Options
    My main reason

I have not thought about it in quite a while. I was younger with the fire in my eyes. I was not educated in the business end and felt I could do it better than my boss. So I got one or two jobs (installs) lined up and I left. Took a leave of absence from a union shop and never went back. At the time I was a sub-contractor for a couple oil companies and it was ok. I have always been king of the hard way. So I learned the hard way. About how much it costs to be in business, the hours, etc. Quick version...Went from being on my own, to working for one of the oil companies I subbed for, to working at Sid Harveys in Brick NJ for one year, Back on my own with a partner. In the meantime 20 yrs have passed, One bad marriage(too young and not educated on the costs, hours,etc. LOL)and lots of gray hair. But I recieved the education I needed..it was the hard way. Now I have a successful business with 4 great techs, including my partner and I. A girl in the office, a beautiful, loving wife. A Six year old boy and one due on March 2. I thank God and wouldnt change the hard way or the path I took for anything. Was it hard...it is still hard. But look at all I have.
    But I do recommend going into business with your eyes wide open.
    Paul

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Ken C.
    Options

It's sad, but many companies value production (how fast can you do it) over quality. Many companies also use cheap materials to maximize their profit. I've been plumbing long enough so that I prefer certain materials. For instance, instead of the traditional boiler drains, I prefer ball valve draw-offs, but have been told by owners, "We don't use those, they cost too much." I take extra steps to make sure pipes are properly supported and protected so they don't sag or cause expansion noise. Those extra steps do take more time, but I feel if a job is worth doing, it's worth doing well. I've worked for a few companies, but the company I worked for the longest and learned from the most placed a high emphasis on quality. This ethic remains with me today, even though it's been almost two years since I left that company. As a result, I tend to work more slowly than many of my colleagues because I take greater care in my work.
  • Ken C.
    Options
    Not ready yet, Bill

Even if I wanted to go on my own (and I'm not sure I do), that point would still be five years or more away. I need to get licensed first, and then save as much capital as I can. Yes, it would be nice not having to answer to a boss, but in reality, even though someone calls himself the boss, he still has a boss - the customer. In my current job, I'm responsible for pricing jobs and collecting payment. Dealing with customers is sometimes more difficult than the technical part of the job. I've found about 20 percent of customers are really nice (offer you something to drink or eat), 60 percent are okay, and the other 20 percent are a real pain in the a**. I'm not sure I want to deal with that for the rest of my working life, not to mention the other stresses of running a business (taxes, regulations, etc.). But I will read that article. Thanks.
  • Jimmy Gillies
    Jimmy Gillies Member Posts: 250
    Options
    On your own.

Ken.
    After reading a few of the above posts, I'm like most of the guys.
    It was 79 & I had a good boss, but, I was just out of my time, a young 21 year old - with lots of dreams.
    I was thinking about starting on my own & one day I was working in this old guys house.....he was an accountant. So I asked him if he could do my 'books', he agreed.
    Then after a couple of weeks working for myself, doing 80-90 hours a week, the work ran out.

So I needed to start marketing & advertising. Also my new accountant started me on double entry book keeping & everyone wanted an estimate before giving me any work.
    So after a hard days work, I would return home to loads of phone calls & book work, in my small bedroom at my Mum & Dads house. It was real hard & I was only making a living wage.

After a couple of years I went to estimating & accounts classes.....that showed me where I was going wrong !!!

Now after 25 years, you may ask was it worth it.......you bet I wouldn't change a thing. I have a great life with pals all over the world & can visit anywhere in the world.
    I have a lovely partner & we have 3 kids between us.

If you are young, fit & willing not to have a family life for about 10 years.........go for it.

Jimmy Gillies Scotland.
  • Ken C.
    Options
    Dave, what is a 2%-er?

• Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
    The Freedom to run my own army

the way I saw fit. Got really tired of being told that I was "too much.....went overboard...cared too much...took too long...its gonna get closed in the wall..who cares...." type of comments. Now, I am GENERAL OF THE ARMY - I prefer it...money is secondary. Mad Dog

• jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    I guess

terms change over the years.

I was a 2% for the entire time in business and it meant all my invoices were paid before the 10th of the month and I could take a 2% discount.

Do supply houses still give this perk?

As for going on my own, this was covered in one of those verrryyyy long Moonlighting posts and probably better not to start that again. Left because things got to good in the early 80's, didn't want to hire again and the phone started to make me jumpy-still do when it rings after 18 years.

Have enjoyed estimating for the last 14 and except for the great people I dealt with in a small town, I do not miss it.
  • David Sutton_4
    David Sutton_4 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    I just started my own....

about 4 mths ago, i did it because i wanted to countinue to grow and move my skille forward, i was working for a great oil co. but was confined due to the need to have the custermer use oil, ( no oil no pay..), i wanted to move into more eff. systems and to a higher caliber of work, and to be the the gut who cared about the person i was doing the work for.

i got to tell you this I LOVE IT !!! it has been a great ride so far, i have learned so much , and have been so relaxed in what i am doing. i am very glad to make the dissision that i did...

i still keep in contact with my old boss and have done a few things for him.....David Sutton
  • Robby P
    Robby P Member Posts: 11
    Options
    It all boils down to \"ATTITUDE\"

Mine is pretty expensive to maintain. I won't compromise on code or quality issues cause it won't let me sleep at night. Being in business for yourself, the costs of integrity are right up front and personal. You'll see it everyday in the bottom line. You're asking the right questions though, you'll do fine.
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Options
    Yes that's about right........................

depends how big you wanna get.....I have focused on those 20% THAT ARE GREAT. Some losers slip in from time to time, but we get rid of them quickly. If I needed to keep 8-10 men busy, i have to put up with more of that. Keeping 3 men and the Lady in the office busy is not as bad - i.e., We can be choosier. Save your$$$ and absorb all the knowledge you can...and yes get yout license asap. Good luck - here to help. Mad Dog

• Boiler Guy
    Boiler Guy Member Posts: 585
    Options
    AMEN

to that. Been on both side of the"house". I think I got the best of both right now. Get to do what I want/like to my own level of quality/compromise but no longer have to worry about the collections, complaints, regulatory concerns , etc. after 5 PM .... unless I want to. Heck I even get to take little training holidays and meet dudes like Mad Dawg Sweeny, Dapper Dan Holohan, Computer/Pipefitter Alex and others. Must be doin sumpin rite ..... Was just given a shiny new parts house on wheels. Life is GOOD!!! AAAHHHHHHH !! .
This discussion has been closed.