Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Zone valve slamming

Options
Randy_7
Randy_7 Member Posts: 23
Thanks to The Wall and one of Dan's books I was able to rid my system of the extreme slamming (associated with the closing of Honeywell zone valves) that rattled the piping throughout my basement. The valves have been reversed from original installation and are now mounted properly for system flow. No longer are we awakened at night when a valve closes.

I still ocassionally get some slight slamming when a valve closes and am wondering if it is because the valves are all about 30 years old (only the motorized portions of a couple of the units have been replaced over the years).

FYI: Circulator is water-lubed and does not "pump-away".

Do you think new Honeywells (or a different brand) may be the answer to the ocassional slight slamming or am I just splitting hairs? Thanks.

Randy

Comments

• Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 707
    Options

Good Morning May I suggest using a Taco, 570 series zonevalve, which close slowly eliminating waterhammer. For your convenience I have attached a catalog for additional information.
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
  • BillW@honeywell
    BillW@honeywell Member Posts: 1,099
    Options
    You'd be suprised...

at how many zone valves are installed backwards. You would benefit from getting your system set up to "pump away", but that,in itself, may not have much effect on the occasional bang. Possibly your circ pump is oversized, that can cause banging, so can long un-supported or poorly supported piping runs. If your valves are that old, consider replacing them. As a last resort, remove ONE of the springs from the valve, that will slow the closing speed, and should minimize any further banging.
  • Randy_7
    Randy_7 Member Posts: 23
    Options

Thank you both very much for the quick response.

Randy
  • Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    Options
    I'd bet the

zone valves don't bang when more than one is open.

The pump curve (head) is excessive when only one valve shuts.

Try a B&G series 100 circulator. The curve (head) is virtually the same with all valves oppen - or just one.

The slamming will be eliminated. Gauranteed

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mike Kraft_2
    Mike Kraft_2 Member Posts: 398
    Options
    Ken,I beg to differ

I've seen multi zone jobs with 100 series.........still bangs.Valves were installed on the supply.At the time I moved them to the return and volia.....no more banging.

cheese
  • Josh M.
    Josh M. Member Posts: 360
    Options

Funny I knew exactly what the post was just by the subject. I really like Honywell zone valves and I have a always used them. They are compact and very easy to troubleshoot. However you do get a bang almost like water hammer when they are piped backwards. It has nothing to do with water hammer or time delay between zone valves.
  • Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    Options
    And...

I've seen them installed on the returns - and stop banging when a "softer" head circulater is used...

I suppose a whole lot of variable factors are involved (like length of zone, air cushioning, system pressure, etc.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.