Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pipe insulation question

I discovered an uninsulated section of my steam main when I removed a tile ceileing in the basement. Where does one find insulation for pipes the size of residential steam mains? Two local commercial plumping supply houses had only the foam stuff for small pipes.

Also, I can find no local source for Gorton's vents. I'd like to upgrade my main vents to the Gorton's #2 vents.

Champaign, Illinois
1920's Trane vapor system


  • Thad English
    Thad English Member Posts: 152

    I am a homeowner like you and cannot get Gorton vents in my area. I called Gorton directly. They are on south ave east in Cranford, NJ. You can also go to Gorton-Valves.com. If you call them, you can talk to Ken Kunz. He is their technical guy. Everyone over there is absolutely great. It's a good company to do business with.

  • Eli
    Eli Member Posts: 42
    SPI for insulation

    I had a great experience with SPI for pipe insulation. They carry the really nice, white, industrial-looking stuff plus the fitting covers. I did several basements this winter. Big difference. Anyway, they have 70 outlets, so search them on the web and see if they're close. Costs: about $1per foot plus $2 per fitting (more for larger sizes).
    Here in Philly, they are located in Audobon (just past King of Prussia).
This discussion has been closed.