Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New boilers with old parts....JohnNY

JohnNY
JohnNY Member Posts: 3,229
Now that it is a law in NYC that ALL pigtails must be brass, when might I expect to see one included with a new boiler? Does this law apply anywhere else? Who can I blame (manufacturer, distributor) for still giving steel pigtails with their units?

Soon I'll be able to build a bridge out of the black malleable pigtails I have laying around in my shop.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=290&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>
Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
Consulting & Troubleshooting
Heating in NYC or NJ.
Classes

Comments

• bovide_3
    bovide_3 Member Posts: 8

amen. however, supply house countermen still look confused when you ask for a brass pigtail.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    brass pigtails

and slant-fin has been including a brass pigtail with their steam pkge. boiler for about 25 years. now if they could correct that surging thing. oh well ---go figure
  • John

I have inquired about brass syphons on several occasions. The difficulty seems to lie with an extremely limited number of suppliers of these items, most of which do not work directly with other manufacturers. I might add that although brass pigtails may tend to corrode less internally, they will not be able to cure the problem of clogging due to surging and possible buildup of oils and such internally. New York City does seem to require more than the rest of the country and that is not necessarily a bad thing! Hope this helps.

Glenn Stanton

Burnham Hydronics
  • todd s
    todd s Member Posts: 212
    Pigtails

Why not include a 1/4" union with the pigtails so they can be easily cleaned/changed?
  • Boiler Guy
    Boiler Guy Member Posts: 585
    brass pigtails

Interesting development. I thought the ASME code did not permit any pigtails on commercial installations. We are being told to remove all of them and pipe the controls with 3/4" black pipe with cross tees and unions fo inspection and service. This now includes residential applications as well.
  • Paul_11
    Paul_11 Member Posts: 210
    what if you don't use pigtails?

When did this become law. I missed it.
    I've been putting steam controls on 1/2" or 3/4" piping that dips down and forms a trap for years, thus I don't use a pigtail at all. How is this piping effected, do you know?
    Paul

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Since 1990, I have made steam systems quiet, comfortable, and efficient. We provide comfort while saving the planet.
    NYC RETROFIT ACCELERATOR QUALIFIED SERVICE PROVIDER

A REAL GOOD PLUMBER, INC
    NYC LMP: 1307
    O:212-505-1837
    M:917-939-0593
This discussion has been closed.