Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

chattering 8184g 4009

Options
joe_14
joe_14 Member Posts: 138
hi guys; one of my guys changed out an 8184g 4009 relay on a miller cmf 80 furnace, this is the second control in two days. the contol chatters for a couple of seconds then pulls in. check voltage 115v. checked for loose grounds found none.the furnace is 10 years old never had any problems like this. even tried feeding furnace off other leg in panel same problem. any suggestions will be welcomed. i wonder if burner motor could be the culprit.

thanks joe.g

Comments

• J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    I'd be looking.....

For stray light affecting the cadcell eye, and also check the stopped and running resistance of it. It should be very high when no light is present and somewhere around 800 or lower ohms when running. Chris
  • Paul Mitchell
    Paul Mitchell Member Posts: 266
    Options
    Low voltage

I agree with cad cell idea.. Also maybe the low voltage is an issue. Extra resistance or a bad heat anticipator could be messing things up.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Al Wappaus
    Al Wappaus Member Posts: 2
    Options
    8184G Chatter

Joe , Had the same thing happen to me ,and others, drove us nuts . What was happening on a call for hot water only the 8124A Aquastat was causing this problem , not the burner motor . Hope this helps with your diagnosis of the problem ,Al.
  • joe_14
    joe_14 Member Posts: 138
    Options
    thanks

thanks guys ill check these things in the a.m.
  • Al Wappaus
    Al Wappaus Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Chattering relay

Joe oooops, Just re-read your post and my reply was for a hot-water system not a hot air system , was the relay a rebuilt or new ? if rebuilt try a new one after checking all other suggestions , Al.
  • Bill NTSG
    Bill NTSG Member Posts: 321
    Options
    You should.........

check for proper polarity and good ground at panel. Also, how about the T-stat?
This discussion has been closed.