Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Essex Triple Fuel Boiler

Options
My brother located in Western Nebraska has a oil fired Essex Triple Fuel boiler. It can operate on oil, gas or wood. Problem is, oil is not popular in his area and he cannot get decent service for his boiler from any oil technicians. I am recommeding that he convert to propane to increase the reliability and lessen his dependence on heating service techs that are not experienced oil burner techs. He currently has a Riello 40 F5 oil burner. The boiler is an Essex Model 1000. It's breech size is 6", water pipe size is 2", capacity of 70,000 - 200,000 btuh. What would he need to convert the oil burner to a propane burner? The boiler manual indicates that he needs Burner Model GAS - HP. Is this an Essex part or a generic term for a gas power burner? I have experience with Carlin burners, but not Beckett or Riello. I could use some advice to formulate a recommendation for my brother to take to his heating company. I am too far from him (3 hours) to be his primary heating tech!
This is a real neat boiler,though! It has a wood box and control system to start the oil burner when the firebox drops 20 degrees below the aquastat limit setting when there is a call for heat. Pretty neat! The ONLY problem is the lack of competent oil burner service in his area and I am not an accomplished oil burner technician!

Any help that you fellow "Wallies" can provide will be very much appreciated.

Jim Eastman
Precision Plumbing
Boulder, CO

Comments

• Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    For Sale...

Carlin G3B Propane burner. Only used for 100 hours.

Will let go for cheap:-)

(Seriously)

ME
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    Options
    If the techs

If the local "techs" can't service a power oil burner, they are probably not going to be any better on gas. They have to be set up much the same combustion wise. I suppose if they have never seen an oil burner it would make them scratch their noggin's for a while, but a good tech would figure it out.
This discussion has been closed.