Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

noisy baseboard radiator

Options
Had a new circulator installed on my hot water system.
It was of the same size as the unit replaced ...but is now pumping stonger [ I think, the old one was 43 years old and not well maintained ]
Since then the first baseboard rad in the loop makes strange noises ...something similar to two pipes gently banging together .It happens when the hot water first begins to flow and then it stops .
I have bled the air from all the rads.
What is the problem and how do I eliminate it .
The rad is in the kitchen and my wife is not impressed !
thanx
Ed

Comments

• Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    Install...

a nice steel panel radiator where the baseboard currently is installed. That will get rid of the noise, AND it will provide your kitchen with a completely different method of heating called radiant. ;-)

What you're hearing is the pipe expanding and if you listen for a real long time during the off cycle, contraction. It starts out slow then increases to a creshendo then stops.

Tick.......tick......tick.....tick...tick.tick.tick.tick....

I hear the same thing in my house and I don't have ANY baseboard in it:-) It actualy sets up a sine wave thermal wave that goes around twice before it disipates. It actually causes the return at the boiler to be hotter than the boiler supply. Just for a second though.

If you can find where the tube is binding up against framing etc.. and isolate it with either slick plastic (milk bottles work good) you might be able to alleviate it some.

G'Luck!

Also, outdoor reset will help alleviate some, but not all of the noise. It's the nature of the beast.

ME
This discussion has been closed.