Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

short cycle

Options
CJ
CJ Member Posts: 1
MY BURNHAM HOT WATER SYSTEM HAS A SHORT HEAT CYCLE. THE GAS IS ONLY ON FOR ABOUT 2 MINUTES AND THEN SHUTS OFF. IT WILL COME ON AGAIN IN JUST A FEW MINUTES TO REPEAT THE 2 MINUTE GAS ON CYCLE. THE CIRULATING PUMP ALSO SHUTS OFF WHEN THE GAS IS OFF. THE WATER TEMP IS UNDER THE MAX SETTING AND THE PRESSURE IS 12PSI. DOES THIS SOUND LIKE A BAD THERMISTAT? THANKS, CJ

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Check the thermostat anticipater

slide it in the direction that says "longer" if it indicates this on it. See if it changes.

Noel
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    I think...

Nowledgeable Noel hit the nail on the HEAD. Nice use of caps eh...:-)

Pssst, notice that no one else around here is using all caps, EXCEPT for emphasis. It keeps from hurting our eyes and ears.

Thank you for your consideration and participation. Stick around and you MIGHT learn something.

Also, on your boiler, if the boiler temp is no where near 180 to 200, it is DEFINATELY a point towards a thermostat problem.

Pop the cover off the stat and see what it is doing.

ME
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    short cycle

Like Noel says, try seting the heat anticipator to a higher setting.
    It is usually set to the amp draw of the control it is controlling. (Zone valve, Primary control or relay). (Sometimes the amp draw is noted on the control, 0.4,0.6 ect., 0.4 is a good start point) If you have an electronic thermostat, check the owners manual.If you have access to a digital ampmeter, wrap the jaws of the meter 10 times with the wire that goes to "W" on the thermostat and divide the reading by 10. This is where you should set the heat anticipator.
  • Pat Clark
    Pat Clark Member Posts: 187
    Options
    IMPORTANT

Do not adjust the anticipator with power on. SHUT OFF POWER FIRST or it will burn out the anticipator and then you will need a new Thermostat.

Pat
  • Special Ed
    Special Ed Member Posts: 3
    Options
    HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

DEFINATELY is spelled DEFINITELY..... Stick around and you might learn that!!!! :) Just tryin to keep some of your egos from making your heads explode!!! :)
  • steve gates
    steve gates Member Posts: 329
    Options

paleeeze let's not get that started agian so soon after the last one.

and ME it's stick around and you will, not might learn something. I do constantly! And am blessed by it all.
  • Special Ed
    Special Ed Member Posts: 3
    Options
    YES!

I agree- I have learned beyond my wildest beliefs from this site. I am not in the field, but am part of one that closely relates to it. So I believe I picked up a lot quick. Maybe I still have a little fire in my veins from the last homeowner bashing.... I'm sure there is things that you guys don't know about (electric, roofing, whatever...) and if you went on to a site to try to figure it out, and took a bashing, it would leave a bad taste in your mouth... That's all I am saying- hope you's can appreciate that as most seem like very decent people here.
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    Dear ED...

If I were really sensitive and thin skinned I'd probably be upset. I'm not. I was just trying to keep CJ from being humiliated by some of the harsher people who frequent the web who are extremely offended with the use of all capital letters. I was trying to be cute, yes.

As for spelling, it's not my stronger suit. (SP?) And being spelling challenged, I NEVER give anyone any grief over their spelling. But I get my point across...

I also never bash homeowners, because ya never know when they might end up being your customer:-) Besides, I'm a homeowner too and I also am a major Do It Your Selfer.

But I take time here to teach anyone willing to learn how to do what I know what to do, not to feed my ego, but from the satisfaction of just kowing I helped someone else learn how to do it right.

I try and feed my ego by doing things like catching big fish.

ME
This discussion has been closed.