Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

low base board temp

Options
want to run base board at a low temp what do i need to know about the boiler to run at a low water temp? and dew point? and cold water shock? what type of bolier do you recommend?

Comments

• heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    That depends..............

on how low you want to go. 140° or lower? Should I assume you mean copper fin tube i.e., Argo or Slant-fin? Or, are you thinking more along the lines of steel panel baseboard like Runtal offers. It can be done successfully at those temperatures, although you will need a large amount of wall space to accomplish it and it may not be very practical.

Sizing your baseboard for 160° at design, then adding a reset system via mixing valve or variable speed injection would probably be the option I would recommend.

hb

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    Good idear...

Who say everything hot water has to be at 180 degrees F?

Theoretically, any fluid flow above room air temp will produce heat!

This is why I LOVE radiant panel heaters. They LOVE low temp applications.

I'm playing a "game" with my Buderi panel rads right now. Seeings as how my actual load is a lot less at design condition than I calculated, and I'd sized my rads for design condition, I've decided to block the convective output from the center of the radiator (model 22's) and see what happens to the comfort level. So far, so good.

In one rarely used room, I blocked the convective, and turned it up in anticipation of a traveling daughter needing the room tonite. You can feel a definite difference when walking into the room. You immediately are aware of the presence of radiant energy coming from the vicinity of the panel radiator.

Life in the lab goes on....and on.... and on:-)

ME
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options

Glad I'm not the only one to immediately feel the radiant presence of something rather large but at quite low temperature.

I've had people spin me around blindfolded and fully clothed at night with the blinds pulled and I can always turn directly facing the radiator--even when it's less than 90° in temperature. Have tried other people in same test and most can do the same but not always at such a low temperature. I'm probably more "in tune" than those accustomed to forced air.
This discussion has been closed.