Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hey Noel

system???Why the double drop header to the main???Is it to keep the condesate seperated better from the steam???Or just to slow the flow or steam???And THANKYOU for your help and THANKS for the pic..No complaints about heat as is!I will talk to cust.about any other probs.And I can not believe a pro piped it with out a header!!!Lo bidder I guess!! Thanks Richard

Comments

• Boilerpro_3
    Boilerpro_3 Member Posts: 1,231
    I you take a look at Dan H's book

"Lost Art " these systems were not normally piped with headers or hartford loops. I suspect that the steam velocity had to be so slow in the mains that the water dropped out before it could get to the rads. Any carry over water just rolled back into the boiler.

Boilerpro
  • In addition to what the Boilerpro said,

Consider this. Think like water, in a cold system. It starts in the boiler, becomes a foamy hot mess that blasts out of the boiler into pipes that are 150° F colder than the steam.

Get all of the way out into the counterflow main. Now you are barrelling along pushing air ahead, and turning to water on cold pipes, and now cold RADIATORS!!! Now we're making some water!!!

This huge amount of water comes rolling down the pipe that has all this steam charging up it.

Where do you want to put this water? Not in the header, I hope. You already have it sneaking under the steam in the opposite direction. Slide it UNDER the steam connection, into a foot of pipe, or so, that has ABSOLUTELY NO STEAM VELOCITY, because it is beyond the steam supply connection. The water picks up a little speed there, and heads for the RETURN connection of the boiler. Not the supply connection to the header, where it would condense steam and cost fuel.

This arrangement MUST be kept 30" above the water line of the boiler. The drop to below the waterline should be vertical, simply to hold as little water as possible.

With me, still?

Noel
  • Richard D._2
    Richard D._2 Member Posts: 156
    Hey Noel

Yea I follow you..I knew the old boiler was wrong and want it right but I do like the reason why you want it your way.. ( no whopper please) lol..I have this thing about knowing the whys of a system and why I do it that way..I sound better when I tell the cust. the truth..I really thankyou for your time to tell me the whys of this system and why I must do it your way!!! ;)Hope to start it in a week or so..I ll post a pic of before and after...Thanks Boiler pro for your help to. Richard
This discussion has been closed.