Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Grundfos circulators with flow check

Options
RS
RS Member Posts: 4
I am interested to know how well does Grundfos circulators with an integrated check valve works. Is the integrated flow check proven? Is their limitations, mechanical or thermo or other? Are they as reliable as the inline flow check valve? Are these circulators used in combination with the inline flow check or are sufficient for the job alone? Would you use these circulators with an integrated flow check in place of the inline flow check for whatever reason?

Comments

• chuck shaw
    chuck shaw Member Posts: 584
    Options
    I have 6

of them working in my home, and 4 more working in my girlfriends house. All just the circ, no additional checks, and no problems at all.

hope this helps

Chuck Shaw

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Wayco Wayne
    Wayco Wayne Member Posts: 615
    Options
    I've used them a lot

over the last year, and like them so much I'm buying them in large quanities to help bring down the price. For just 5 bucks more, more it saves the price of a flo check plus the cost of fittings and labor to install it. You gotta like that. BTW I saw Taco's version of it. They put theirs on the inlet of the vortex of the circulator. It all looks good to me. WW

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,736
    Options
    I've had problems

with Taco's verion. I've done less jobs with the grundfos, with no problems so far.

Gary

Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    I have

a couple dozen installed without a hitch. They did increase the size of the check which helped the curves a bit.

I have actually pulled a pump from the volute with only the iso valve on the suction side closed. The check holds that tightly.

Can't do that with a flow check :)

This is a very handy pump both for new installs and fixing ghost flow problems in exisiting systems and indirect tanks. The 3 speed is also a nice feature for underperforming zones or indirects.

hot rod

• heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    I have dozens of them.......

in the field without a single problem, to date. Taco certainly make a fine pump, but the three speeds and higher head, make it the perfect pump for residential applications. The starting torque on speed one is virtually the same as speed three, effectively eliminating the achilles heel the old 15-42 three speed had.

hb

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Taco IFC

I have installed more than a dozen and liked them alot but I have many problems.

When you install them on the supply side no problems. "outstanding"

But

Then I did a boiler replacement where I could not install them on the supply and then it began.

1) Air trapped inside the pump the only way I could get it out is back off on the 5/16 screws and loosen the motor from the housing.

2) I talked to Taco and they know its a problem and faxed me a diagram showing a purge valve under each pump but I installed the purge at the top of the supply side next to my feed water reg./expantion tank.
    The system has 7 zones and thats alot of extra T&M.

3) The next call back was over heating in the master bedroom found a piece of solder had stuck in the check valve. I removed the check valve with needle noze plyers and reassemled. The flow check would not reinstall and replaced the pump.

4) The week goes by and now I get a call the master bedroom zone is overheating again. I'll be back monday lets see what this week brings.

Its a great pump but I will never install one on the return side of the boiler again.

Has anyone had purge/air problems with Grunfos?

Thanks good luck

Don
  • Taco IFC

I have installed more than a dozen and liked them alot but I have many problems.

When you install them on the supply side no problems. "outstanding"

But

Then I did a boiler replacement where I could not install them on the supply and then it began.

1) Air trapped inside the pump the only way I could get it out is back off on the 5/16 screws and loosen the motor from the housing.

2) I talked to Taco and they know its a problem and faxed me a diagram showing a purge valve under each pump but I installed the purge at the top of the supply side next to my feed water reg./expantion tank.
    The system has 7 zones and thats alot of extra T&M.

3) The next call back was over heating in the master bedroom found a piece of solder had stuck in the check valve. I removed the check valve with needle noze plyers and reassemled. The flow check would not reinstall and replaced the pump.

4) The week goes by and now I get a call the master bedroom zone is overheating again. I'll be back monday lets see what this week brings.

Its a great pump but I will never install one on the return side of the boiler again.

Has anyone had purge/air problems with Grunfos?

Thanks good luck

Don
  • hr
    Options
    Don. why did you

leave the solder ball in there in the first place!? :)

Another plus of the Grundfos check pump is ease of purge. Install a boiler drain just above the pump. Fill the system and let the flow go backwards to the pump. The check holds and allows you to flush, and purge those nastys out before they can get to the volute and become a call back headache. So now you clean and purge right to the pump!

The Grundfos check is easily removed, and they even give you a sticker to paste on indicating the check has been removed!

I once had a solder ball jam into an impeller vane on a Brute. Incrediable racket from that seemingly small imbalance. I even heard the solder ball dancing, and laughing as it headed down the copper line on it's way to trouble.

hot rod

• Ron Huber
    Ron Huber Member Posts: 121
    Options
    Got Grundfos

Works for me
  • hr
    Options
    NICE, Ron

no wonder I couldn't get the Super Brutes for a while. You bought em all. Good looking copper work!

hot rod

• Boilerpro_3
    Boilerpro_3 Member Posts: 1,231
    Options
    VERY NICE!

• Dennis - Reliable Services
    Options
    Why doesn't someone manufacture a flange with a check in it ,

it could even have a bleeder on it and maybe an isolation valve to. Maybe I should rush down to the patent office.
  • Wayco Wayne
    Options
    Dennis

You're too late. B&G is coming out very soon with that very product. It's theur answer to the Grundfos circ with flo check. WW

• hr
    Options
    I did that once

back in the early 90's I had a line of brass sweat flanges, ball valve iso- flanges, check valve flanges, and flanges with filter ball valves, also purge valve flanges.

I had a booth at the very first RPA show in 1994.

MAXROHR "Smart parts for neat heat" was the company. A patent attorney talked me out of filing for patent rights! Tried selling the idea to B&G, Taco and Grundfos. Low and behold they all offer very similar products, as does Webstone.

Somewhere in Thailand I still own the molds. You wouldn't believe the cost to have the flanges cast, machined, cleared through customs,and shipped to Utah!

Oh well, the road not taken :)

hot rod

• heatboy
    Options
    I've used them all.........

and your's were my favorite, hr.

hb

• heatboy
    Options
    Beautiful, Ron!

How long have you been using the ProPress? Imagine how long that B tank would have been lit if it was all soldered! Great piping work, plus Vitosilver!

hb

• Ron Huber
    Options
    pro press

We have had the pro press for just about a year now. My supplier, Capco, lent it to me for this job, my son Nathan used it the first day and offered to buy it himself If I decided to send it back after the job. He had that "hey dad I really want that new bike" look in his eye, so we kept it. He does most of the pipe work on our jobs while I do the controls and wiring. The pro press is a great tool, makes for a healthier work space not having all that solder/flux smoke in the air.
  • Ron Huber
    Options
    Thanks

But the credit goes to my son Nathan. If he sees me setting up a pump in line that is a fraction of an inch lower or higher than the one next to it, he'll come by later and take it apart and re-do it. I spend most of my time on the jobs doing the layout and doing the controls and wiring. There's thirty circulators here in the basement for the radiant floors,supplemental heat,primary and boiler pumps, two dhw tanks, and five more up on the third floor mechanical room supplying three air handlers, built in baseboard, and radiant in the four bathrooms on the second floor.
  • Ron Huber
    Options
    patent pending

With all the neat stuff you fabricate and come up with, you better at least apply for the patent to lock up the ideas before somebody else gets it. I'd like to come up with a training program for chimps to run tubing and install the plates for radiant,think about it, no staging and they'll work for bananas!
  • Wayco Wayne
    Options
    Has anyone

used the Grundfos as a vsi circ. on low speed?? Would the flo check cause any problems? WW

• heatboy
    Options
    I have a couple of older three speeds............

on small VSI systems that are set to speed one. Using the newer 15-58 would be a better choice since there is virtually no penalty with the internal check as opposed to an external spring or swing check.

Oh, that's right, I don't like VSI ;-) I forgot!

hb

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Its about time those photos came out

I told you a year ago to post those :).

Great work Ron, and I think thats how Tim got me to buy the propress tool. " Here just try it ". Ka Ching.

Scott

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    same here

I buy them 5 at a clip at times. probaly have 30+ out there working perfectly.

I'ts getting to be a problem with all these OEM 007's piling up in the shop:)

This discussion has been closed.