Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tragedy on Thanksgiving eve

Options
DanHolohan
DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,525
is precious.
Retired and loving it.

Comments

• John R. Hall
    John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
    Options
    Why does this have to happen

Small town north of Detroit -- Thanksgiving eve. A house fire snuffs out the lives of three young sisters, ages 3-6. The report makes no mention of any smoke detectors.

My heart is broken and the community is shocked. I will be sending a donation to their memorial. Donation information is in the story. The link is below.

Please, please hug your children and protect them.

http://www.freep.com/news/mich/algon27_20031127.htm
  • Jim S
    Jim S Member Posts: 82
    Options
    John

Read the first sentence,the smoke detector woke them up.
  • Earthfire
    Earthfire Member Posts: 543
    Options
    home sprinklers

Homes need sprinklers. The systems cost less then the vinyl and carpet builders put in the homes.
  • John R. Hall
    John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
    Options
    Jim

You are right -- I blew right past it. But I wouldn't be surprised if the two-story home only had one working detector. It also points out the need for fire safety and practicing an escape route, too.
  • Wayco Wayne
    Wayco Wayne Member Posts: 615
    Options
    I agree

When I went to Wirsbo school recently they showed us a pex sprinkler system for residential that used the domestic water lines that ran through the sprinkler heads on their was to the plumbing fixtures. My first response was, what do they need that for, but after I cogitated on it for a while it started to make more and more sense. This tragedy is the punctuation at the end of the thought. It's very sad indeed. WW

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Earthfire
    Earthfire Member Posts: 543
    Options
    Aquasafe

Very easy system to install if you follow directions. Wirsbo does the design and you install it per their spec . I put the first one in Pa. in my honey's addition, When people come by I have to point the heads out cause they don't even notice them. Now, if we could get the insurance companies to push it a little it would take off.
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    I agree with what this article says...

and I have also looked into the use of hydronic heating systems as the purveyor of the fluids necessary to fight fires, and it it feasible.

Fighting fires, saving lives and keeping people safe and comfortable... What a concept.

ME

http://www.contractormag.com/articles/column.cfm?
    columnid=258
  • ROBERT W IVES
    ROBERT W IVES Member Posts: 3
    Options
    CO NEAR DISASTER

THE CITY OF CONCORD NH FIRE DEPT. RECENTLY RESPONDED TO A CALL FOR A CO DETECTOR GOING OFF IN A 12 UNIT APARTMENT BUILDING. THE BUILDING IS FIFTEEN YEARS OLD AND THE HYDRO-THERM CELTIC BOILERS RARELY IF EVER SEE A SERVICE TECH UNLESS THEY STOP RUNNING. I WAS VERY INTERESTED BECAUSE THIS IS A COMPLEX WHERE WE HAVE HAD ONE THE BOILER EXPANSION TANK EXPLODE AND SEVERAL SOOTED HEAT EXCHANGERS HAVE CAUSED A FLAME ROLL OUT THAT SCORCHED THE PLYWOOD TO WHICH THEY ARE MOUNTED ALL THE WAY THROUGH TO THE DRYWALL. IN THIS CASE WE HAD RECENTLY WORKED ON ONE OF THE UNITS CAUSING MY HEART TO FLUTTER A BIT. THE FIRE DEPT. DETERMINED UPON COMPLETEING THEIR INVESTIGATION THAT THE ROOFERS HAVING NOT COMPLETE A ROOF REPAIR JOB ON FRIDAY HAD COVERED THE ENTIRE ROOF WITH TARPS INCLUDING THE B-VENT CHIMNEYS AND PLUMBING VENTS. THANKFULLY NO ONE WAS INJURED OR SUFFERED ANY ILL AFFECTS. THIS ONE CASE MAKES ME FEEL A WHOLE LOT BETTER ABOUT NAGGING MY CUSTOMER TO INSTALL CO DETECTORS.
This discussion has been closed.