Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Onepipe Steam

Options
Hello and thankyou for your help!
Today I found a cracked 7 y/o boiler . :( I think its piped wrong.Im not familar w/counter flo steam piping but common sense says WRONG!!!A pic will follow.(before and after)
It has 2 2 1/2"risers off the boiler. NO HEADER!1 riser goes to each loop!The equalizer line is on 1 main.The specs say 1 1/2" but they have 1 1/4".Header specs are 2 1/2"..Could this piping have caused sevaral cracks?I need more info on counter flo piping.The piping pic in Dans book shows feeding the header from the top.
( great book.I told the new guys to get it)Any proper pics you have would help.Im ordering the new boiler tomorrow. Should I join the drop header club with this system??:) Want to anyway.I have 2 off set mains coming off this job..Thanks Rich

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Good ideas

Be sure to connect each main to the header with it's own tee.

I like the equalizer to be full size down to the hartford loop tee.

I like to look up the main size requirement for the whole output of the boiler, and increase one size, for the header; OR, use the manufacturers minimum size, which ever is bigger.

I like to find out what the A dimension will be before I start.

Noel
  • Richard D._2
    Richard D._2 Member Posts: 156
    Options
    This is

a 1 pipe counter flow system..With no returns.Sorry for lack of info..Thanks for your info,it will be used ..Rich
  • Unknown
    Options
    Drip each supply

The driest way to connect the counterflow mains is to drip each supply.

Here, let me draw something. It'll take forever for me to figure out how to verbalize it.

Noel
  • Richard D._2
    Options
    Thanks Noel BUT

I do not have a return pipe..Just the mains which is the heat and condensate return..Condensate drains thru equalizer line..But you piping looks great and from what I saw the header looks like the littlepec I sae of what I have..II draw what I have.may be using the wrong name for it.
  • Richard D._2
    Options
    Thanks Noel BUT

I do not have a return pipe..Just the mains which is the heat and condensate return..Condensate drains thru equalizer line..But you piping looks great and from what I saw the header looks like the littlepec I sae of what I have..II draw what I have.may be using the wrong name for it.
  • Richard D._2
    Options
    Noel

Thanks for the pic its great.But I do not have a return on this job.The main is also the return.. and no hartford loop.Never saw a system piped this way.But they did not install a header and I think that is why the boiler cracked. Hoping to find some pics on this type system..Thanks Richard
  • Unknown
    Options
    I know you don't

That's why I showed you what you need to do to make it work.

Noel
  • Richard D._2
    Options
    Thanks Noel

for all the help...Rich
  • joe_14
    joe_14 Member Posts: 138
    Options
    follow

hi rich; follow noels advice and everything will work great. i know this because he has given me great advice more than once. allways correct. i have learned a lot from noel.

have fun with the counter job joe.g
  • Richard D._2
    Options
    Thanks you

guys for the help.I want to do it right and want to join the drop header club :)!! Win Win situation!!!Thanks again for all you help Rich..Will post a before and after pic when done...
  • RS
    RS Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Counterflow Steam System

The attachments are not to take away from anyone's expertise. The Hydronic Institute has a diagram of how a counter flow system near boiler piping should be install.
  • RS
    RS Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Counter Flow

Here is a better image.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Follow the Manuf. instructions on header and equalizer piping.

Beyond that, if you don't want to drop the return to the floor to keep steam out of it and to create a mudleg to catch and flush the heavy stuff that washes back to the boiler, fine.

But definately don't use that diagram instead of following manufacturers instructions.

Noel
  • Richard D._2
    Options
    Waiting on

the manufacture for their specs..But I see something new to me and I have to find out as much as I can about it!!Yea one of those lol...I really want to say again HOW much I appreciate all the helpI recieved from you all..
    HEY RS how can I get one of those manuals from the Hydronics Institute???It look great.. Richard
This discussion has been closed.