Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam traps

ricK_10
ricK_10 Member Posts: 23
I am going to replace all traps in the building .Four story building older the dirt .can I get away with replacing the traps one floor at a time because I cannot complete this job in one day .It is a two pipe system . I know sometimes a nearby trap can damage another naerby. The good thing is its right near the hall of fame .

Comments

• why dont you do

a steam trap survey and replace all the bad traps first, then replace at your leisure the remaining that are just old..
  • js_2
    js_2 Member Posts: 1
    trap survey

I have an identical situation, but can't find references to a trap survey. How would I "survey" for bad and old traps?
  • Start with a cold system and a low steam pressure.

First, get an idea where all of the steam pipes and returns go. Follow each main out to the trap or seal at the end of it. Follow all of the returns back to the boiler room.

Start the system up from cold, and watch the temperature of the RETURNS, after each trap dumps into them. Return temps normally run from 90° F to about 140° F if the traps are tight.

If a pipe goes right up to 180-200 in the return, shut off the boiler and follow that hot pipe back to the trap.

After the mains all get hot, individual drops from radiators get checked the same way. Temperature.

If EVERYTHING is hot in the returns at once, shut off the radiators, and get the main's traps to hold first, then turn on one radiator at a time and see if they hold steam.

It usually is easier to survey it than to get it all done in a day by swapping new for old.

Noel
  • Woody
    Woody Member Posts: 34
    steam traps

another method would be to remove a typical trap and pipe in a simple test station with shut offs, check valves and domestic water with backflow preventer . just pipe to an atmospheric tub or drain; this will enable you check each existing element . start by buying enough elements (tunstall capsules or others) for the first floor. change them all and test then test each one you take out. chuck the leakers and save the good ones and bring those to the second floor etc. etc. the test station will be an invaluable asset that will be used for the life of the building(system). regards tp tunstall (www.tunstall-inc.com)
This discussion has been closed.